Onward to Albuquerque - What a Cool Day!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Albuquerque
October 21st 2012
Published: October 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

It's time to leave the Canyon but we have one last stop at the Desert View Watchtower. This, too, was designed by Sweetie's new obsession - Mary Elizabeth Jane Coulter. We both agree if you had limited time to see the Canyon, this would be the place to do it! Aside from the magnificent Watchtower, the view encompasses the Canyon and the Colorado River and of course, is Breathtaking! There are views all the way along this route (25 miles from Canyon to Desert View) so again, a great way to see the beauty.

And we're off!!! Today, we are seeing some of Route 66 - the argument is over how much kitsch can Sweetie get Asshole to endure before he locks her out of the car. She refuses to sleep in the car on this trip which is really throwing things off, time-wise! Our first stop is in Winslow and yes, we have the picture of Standin' on the Corner but the real reason we're here is La Posada - another MEJ Coulter building. The role of Sweetie is now being played by Lamar Brown!

Not sure what else there really is to do in Winslow but this hotel can keep you busy for a couple of days with its history, artwork and gardens. Check it out at www.laposada.org - there is too much detail to even start to describe how amazing this place is - we've posted a few pics to get you started...

The next stop was at a weird Roadside Souvenier shop called Geronimo - Petrified Wood, TeePees, Route 66 - it had it all and some lucky family members are the winners at this stop. Back on the road for our next stop in Holbrook, Arizona where you can sleep in a WigWam (TeePee) complete with a vintage car parked right out front. This is a quirky little town that has a fascination with dinosaurs - they're all through town.

Negotiations begin on how much more of Route 66 we will see - it doesn't help that someone is hungry. We grab a sandwich and get going again still bitching about the purpose of this part of the trip... Sweetie #1 in full on pout until Temporary Sweetie pulls over in Gallup, New Mexico in order for photos to be taken of the El Rancho Hotel - Where the Stars Stay. Clark Gable and John Wayne!!! Rumor is that Gallup almost became Hollywood when DeMille came through on the train. It was the site of many Western movie shoots - too bad it snowed that day! Ha! Ha! Gallup is also very near Red Rock Park.

A compromise was made - onward to Albuquerque - no more stops! Thankfully, Sweetie #1 did take a nap! We pulled into town before 7pm and were greeted by all types of art - overpasses that were lit with red and purple lights, iron work on pedestrian walkways, totems on street corners, etc. Very cool introduction to this place! Sweetie scored us a room at Hotel Blue - it looked a little rocky from the outside but do not let it deter you! First, it's on Route 66 - Central Avenue downtown is the longest Main Street in America at 18 miles - more on that later... Hotel Blue looks like a typical 70s building with doors on the outside. The rooms have been renovated (wouldn't have picked the weird brown carpet) and come with Temper-Pedic beds, fridge, microwave, big HD flat screen and this weird fireplace thing - check out the pic! Free wi-fi,
The TerraceThe TerraceThe Terrace

From here, go inside and ascend 2 more floors
rates under $90 and right near restaurants and bars - two (2) thumbs up!!!

We're both hungry so off we go for our walk through town. The manager at the hotel suggested a bar on Main Street, the Library. We pass several places of interest as we head down, the Blackbird Buvette, KIMO Theater, the Knockout (a Gentleman's Club), and the Bubble Lounge. We grab a streetside table at The Library and had no idea what we were in store for. Apparently, on Sunday nights, Main Street becomes "The Strip" and with the heavy Hispanic commmunity comes the jacked up cars of all sorts and styles. Everything from old school Monte Carlos, Skylarks, Challengers (The Judge), to pick ups (old and new), to a Jaguar, Hummers and "crotch rocket" motorcycles. Most have large RIMS and custom tires. The scene is too surreal to describe here but oh, what a hoot!!! We had so many laughs and got some pix and video. All this lasted for more than an hour and then the "PO PO" decided it was too much and started closing off portions of the drag. Man, it was fun while it lasted...has got to be one on the best moments on the trip. The food and drinks were good at The Library, with Belinda our waitress keeping the margaritas and shots coming. Sweetie had the house salad and a bowl of creamy chicken and green chile soup. I had hot wings and really good onion rings. None of it spectacular but everything good and the folks at The Library were really friendly to hang out with - great staff! After the cops stopped the viewing fun, we decide to head out for one more stop and decide on Blackbird Buvette. They had a single artist on stage performing and I still don't know how to describe it. He would play one instrument with feedback and somehow get it to continue to play while he would pick up another instrument and play it while the other continued, with occational singing along the way. It was strange, but somewhat intriquing. Sweetie met some people from Houston, Texas that were on their way to Eureka, California. They were in town to visit their friend who is the sous chef at the Hotel Andaluz. Dale was bummed we didn't stay there - it is one of the first Hilton Hotels and was where Conrad Hilton married Zsa Zsa Gabor. It recently went under a $40mm renovation and sounds very cool - NEXT TIME!!! Of course, we told them some of our experiences and places to stop or not on their journey. After another round of shots with the Texans, we head back to Hotel Blue for a good night's rest on our TempurPedic in front of the fire (by the way, it's 74 degrees here).

Tomorrow it's on to Santa Fe and Amarillo and more Route 66!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

The La Posada Gift ShopThe La Posada Gift Shop
The La Posada Gift Shop

"Even art horses are expensive!"
The KIMO TheaterThe KIMO Theater
The KIMO Theater

This place reminded us both of Atlanta's Fox with its' architectural details


24th October 2012

You two crack me up!
Isn't ABQ fun?! I miss that place! Wish you could've seen the Balloon Fiesta...a DEFINITE Bucket List item!
24th October 2012

Uncle Marty wants to go to Balloon Fiesta
Let's see if we can make that happen next year! Love you!

Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb