West Orange, New Jersey - United States of America


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Jersey
July 3rd 2005
Published: August 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

West OrangeWest OrangeWest Orange

West Orange, New Jersey - United States of America

Jul 03, 2005









*City official name :West Orange
*Founded date :
*Location :New Jersey State
*Elavation :? ft (? m)
*Area :Approximately ? square miles (? km²).
*Facts :West Orange is a township in Essex County, New Jersey, United States. As of the United States 2000 Census, the township population was 44,943. West Orange shares a border with the South Mountain Reservation.

West Orange was initially a part of the city of Newark, and remained such until November 27, 1806, when the territory now encompassing all of The Oranges was detached. On April 13, 1807, the first government was elected, but not until March 13, 1860, was Orange officially incorporated as a city. Almost immediately, the new city began fragmenting into smaller communities, primarily because of local disputes about the costs of establishing paid police, fire, and street departments. South Orange was organized on January 26, 1861, Fairmount (later to become part of West Orange) on March 11, 1862 and East Orange on March 4, 1863. West Orange (including what had been the independent municipality of Fairmount) was formed on March 14, 1863.

Thomas Edison bought a property known as Glenmont in
West OrangeWest OrangeWest Orange

West Orange, New Jersey - United States of America
1886 as a wedding gift for his bride. It occupies 13.5 acres (55,000 m²) in the Llewellyn Park district. The remains of both Thomas and Mina Edison are now buried there. Glenmont is maintained by the National Park Service as part of the Edison National Historic Site.

The first motion picture studio, The Black Maria, was located on the grounds of Edison's factory in West Orange.

The first Linens 'n Things store, now closed, was located in West Orange.

Turtle Back Zoo, founded in 1963 and currently one of only four zoos in New Jersey, is located in the township in the South Mountain Reservation.





Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

West OrangeWest Orange
West Orange

West Orange, New Jersey - United States of America


Tot: 0.304s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 81; dbt: 0.149s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb