Let the fun begin


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Jersey » Cape May
June 27th 2011
Published: June 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our HouseOur HouseOur House

We stayed in this house for the two days we spent at Cape May. It was packed with people and, according to at least one in our party, a ghost! Repordedly there were things flying around on the third floor, the kids "dorm"

Day 1 – June 27th



We were up before the sun today. Even though we tried to prepare for the trip before today, there seemed to be numerous little things that had been neglected. But by 6:30 the van was packed (and I mean packed) and we were rolling down the street toward I-95.

We followed I-95 to the north through Maryland into Delaware, and crossed the Delaware Memorial Bridge into New Jersey, our third state of the day. We decided to abandon the well-traveled highways, so we switched off the GPS and follow those grey-lined roads on our map. We found some wonderfully quiet byways and very little traffic.

One of the pleasures or touring New Jersey is the gas prices and the mandatory full service pumps. The tax structure allows gas to be sold for considerably less than in PA or MD and by law the consumer is not allowed to pump his/her own gas.

Because of our country-road route we came into Cape May from the west and found the house we were sharing quite easily.

Not wanting to waste time we started exploring the island – yes, Cape May is technically an
Our street IOur street IOur street I

The street we stayed on had houses with yards filled with hydrangias
island. There is a canal running east-west across the lower peninsula of NJ just to the north of Cape May. My son Marc and his wife Jen joined as we took in a couple of the more significant landmarks in the area.

We visited the Cape May Lighthouse but decided not to take the tour of the structure since it involved 199 steps to the top. We also stopped at Sunset beach on the extreme southern tip of the cape to see the sunken, and now deteriorated concrete WWI ship S.S. Atlantus. It seems they made a number of these concrete ships, this was the second one made. For more info click on the link above.

After making supper for the clan Jill and I joined the rest of the household in the traditional pilgrimage to Washington St., the quaint shopping area of Cape May, NJ, for an anticipated stop at Ben and Jerry’s – my favorite flavor is Cherry Garcia and I got my fix tonight.

Thanks for reading,

Don and Jill

Please feel free to leave comments.





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Our street IIOur street II
Our street II

'Lacy' hydrangias
Washington StreetWashington Street
Washington Street

Washington St in Cape May is known for its quaint shops, but it is also decorated with colorful planters and bench to let you rest your weary bones.
Martin HousesMartin Houses
Martin Houses

This row of Martin hoiuses is home for a large flock of Martins.
Cape May Light HouseCape May Light House
Cape May Light House

Contains 199 steps to reach the top.
S.S. Atlantus - ThenS.S. Atlantus - Then
S.S. Atlantus - Then

This sign tells the story of the Atlantus and displays a picture of the concrete ship in its glory
S.S. Atlantus - NowS.S. Atlantus - Now
S.S. Atlantus - Now

This is all that's left of the ship after it broke loose from its mooring when it was used as a ferry dock.
Observation TowersObservation Towers
Observation Towers

These tall concrete towers are dotted along the Atlantic coast and were used to look for enemy ships and aircraft during WWII and even the Korean war


Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb