New Hampshire


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Hampshire
September 25th 2022
Published: September 26th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 25th:



Our Motel in Londonderry was built in 1790 (the original part). History non existent in NZ. This motel is famed far & wide for their breakfasts. We could see why. In the cost of the room they supply a full a la carte breakfast. I had grits, warm maple syrup with strawberries followed by an omelette & toast. By the time I had finished I felt like returning to my room for a nap!



However we hit the road bit later than normal a definitely a bit fuller. Our bikes required oil top ups so we bought some at the first gas station we could find with motorcycle specific oil. Finding this was no easy task On a Sunday. At the gas station where we found some, we met four Upstate New Yorkers doing sections of this part of the BDR just over the weekend. We had chat and few laughs with them. They were riding a DRz a KTM, a KLR and a DR650. Nice guys having a fun weekend of riding and not far from home.

Once more on the route, we were back on gravel roads which wound through the forest past streams, rapids and great views. After a few dozen miles, we stopped at a country store. These are an iconic part of the North East and sell everything from coffee, food (fast and restaurant meals) wine (some even sell guns) and everything else in between.



More great riding on the BDR route through knee deep red leaves on the ground and magnificent fall colours in the trees. Alongside rivers with rapids we eventually came into the town of Woodstock. No half naked hippies dancing and smoking dope like they were 53 years ago. No sign of Hendrix, Joplin, Barry Mcguire etc so we pressed on.

A little while after this we came to another covered bridge built in the early to mid 1800s. (See photos)
Stopping at another country store I got talking to a couple who were interested in what we were doing & where we were going.
They had recently done a 97 day tour on BMW GS650s and covered 13000 miles. The lady has written book about their trip. She gave me a sticker for my bike "Spirit Traffic" is the name of the book which finding its available on Kindle I have downloaded a sample. Her website is cjanetalor.com

Leaving this well provisioned country store we encountered a quite common afternoon drizzle. The last 2 hours were still great riding albeit wet.
We arrived into the town of Woodsville after 237 miles (around 400 km)



A couple of hours later a couple of young guys arrived in the rain on bikes, also doing parts of the BDR so we had a chat. They had done a couple of the expert sections that we had bypassed and said they were slippery and boggy in the wet. One of them had a fall...no injury or damage.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.286s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 75; dbt: 0.1192s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb