Huntsman Cabin Pioneer Ruins


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada
February 5th 2011
Published: February 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Huntsman Pioneer Cabin


This is the 1903 ruins of the Huntsman Cabin . David and Emeline Huntsman lived in Hebron Utah in 1871 where they had thier first son James. In 1875 they again moved, this time to Gunlock Utah. They lived in Gunlock till 1878 when they ventured over to Nevada, first at Bunkerville and then in 1881 to St. Thomas.

It was in 1891 when the Huntsman family left St. Thomas and homesteaded a 160 acre ranch they called the Kane Springs Ranch on the Meadow Valley Wash above Moapa. The large part of the rock behind the cabin that is missing, fell and covered the spring

When the railroad came through in 1905 to Caliente the Huntsman ranch began to be a regular stop. Emeline Huntsman was well known for her cooking as well as medicine for those in need. The locals come to call her the lantern lady. When the first flood hit the wash, it was Emeline who rode up the wash looking for those who were injured and is credited for saving many lives.
During the disastrous flood of 1910, again it was Emeline who by now was not in her youth but still came to help those in need again. This time she rode up the wash to Elgin and delivered the baby of the stranded station master’s wife. Even after her husband pasted away in 1905 she remained at the ranch. She said the railroad men will take care of me, and they did.
Here is three graves located close to the house. I have read that two of them were outlaws the other a railroad train driver. It is noted that Emeline once met Butch Cassidy on her way to get supplies at Moapa. If there was ever a woman to stand out among men, it would have to be Emeline Huntsman.
Although the springs here probably help to draw the family to settle and build a ranch, but at one time in history it drew others as well. All over the rock walls behind the cabin is a large number of petroglyphs. Both Emeline and her husband are buried at the Overton Cemetery .
Directions:
If you go to Moapa, the old town site at the railroad overpass to can take the road north. It run’s along side the railroad all the way. It is 10.5 miles from the overpass. If you come to the steel bridge stop. Back up a half mile. You will see a little mound that the road go’s around before the bridge. If you look back after you pass and see a fence around three graves you are there.



Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0706s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb