Gold Butte Ghost Town & Mines


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada
December 11th 2010
Published: January 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Nevada’s Gold Butte Back Country Byway

Nevada’s Gold Butte Back Country Byway

Southern Nevada’s Gold Butte Back Country Byway is just right. Beginning roughly 90 miles outside of Las Vegas and just five miles south of Mesquite, the scenic 62-mile byway is a study in dazzling desert treasures and offers wonderful opportunities for exploring, camping and hiking.

Gold was discovered near here in 1905 and by 1908 the town had a stable,post office, and even a hotel. In spite of it's name, more copper was mined in the area than gold. By 1910 most of the mining had ceased.

Because of the nature of the route, which offers a mix of paved, gravel and unmaintained road, it is recommended that visitors on the Gold Butte Back Country Byway drive high-clearance, four-wheel drive vehicles. A good suggestion would be to bring a few good pare tire as with any travel in the desert or wilderness for a matter of fact these roads are hard on your tires, this particular trip afforded us the expense of two new tires after we returned home. Very little remains of the Ghost town a few grave sites, abandoned mines and scrap metal and foundations, although the landscape and the man made historical remains throughout the area make the effort well worth the drive.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb