San Diego to Bend via Nevada


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Reno
April 21st 2009
Published: April 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hey, everyone!

This is pretty exciting, writing the first entry in the Clements' Travel Times! Thank you in advance for taking the time to read it!

Friday morning we drove to Red Rock Canyon. It's a U.S. Conservation area, so our National Park pass was good there. We took the scenic, one-way loop which is a little over 11 miles with places to pull off at different points of interest and information about what you are seeing. We found out that some of those interesting rock formations were sand dunes once upon a time! The weather was nice, the air clear and it was very quiet, especially after all the casino noise. If you are a hiker or rock climber, this is a place for you. Even though there are wild horses and burros, the pictured sign was as close as we got.

Alas, Tom didn't finish in the money in his slot tournament, but had a good time nevertheless. Nancy had an awesome facial at the spa, and we both used the gym facilities.

On Monday we drove from Las Vegas to Reno on Hwy. 95. Lots and lots of empty space, with evidence of past mining. Kind of sad to see towns which seemed as if their best days are behind them. We left Las Vegas at about 9am and arrived in Reno about 4:30 pm. We are leaving tomorrow morning for Bend which is supposed to be about a 7 hour drive.

Oh, in case you're interested, the marital division of labor is this: Tom is the photographer and Nancy is the writer. Again, thanks for subscribing!




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0194s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb