Day 44 - Sin City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
August 15th 2006
Published: August 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post


Once we had got the 14 hour bus journey out of the way, we found ourselves in a new world. One that is alive and kicking 24/7 (well for most people) - Las Vegas.

This bizarre, anything goes city in the middle of the desert, offers the typical resident or visitor (newly retired Americans) amusement and a way to spend the pension / inheritance.

The real Vegas is at night (it was 40C+ during the afternoon) where lights and music try and draw you into their casino halls to gamble your money. Nothing is too big or too loud for this place. Our favourite experience of Vegas had to be the Bellagio fountain displays.

The impression it gave was quite different from the glitzy glamour that we'd been expecting. The most common sight is of cheaply dressed, chain-smoking, overweight slot machine addicts, many of whom are connected to medical oxygen supplies in between puffs. This is even true in the more upscale places. That said, we are certain to return to Vegas but with more cash in our pockets next time - it seems like that's the only way to make the most of a visit here. Backpacking on a budget doesn't allow the place to show its best side.

Another thing that really struck us was the number of pawn and bail bond shops there were. Oh and of course the wedding chapels!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0205s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1015.7kb