Honeymoon in Vegas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
June 2nd 2012
Published: June 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Dec. 4th 2011. Vegas honeymoon trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

In the Hotel Room of the VdaraIn the Hotel Room of the Vdara
In the Hotel Room of the Vdara

We stayed in the Vdara. When we booked, we didn't know it was a non-gambling, non-smoking, eco-friendly spa hotel...but very nice with remote controlled curtains. It is one of 7 buildings in City Center on the Vegas strip.
Aria FlowersAria Flowers
Aria Flowers

We noticed every hotel had it's own smell. The Aria (one of the hotels in City Center) smelled like Chocolate. These flowers were in the lobby and are made of chocolate.
The VdaraThe Vdara
The Vdara

This is where we stayed
The VdaraThe Vdara
The Vdara

An up view of the Vdara. Opened in December of 2009. 57 stories and 1495 rooms. No casinos, no smoking. Some of the suites are sold as private residences with the option to lease it out while you are away.
The NightThe Night
The Night

This is the view from our window. Over looking the 76 acres of the City Center.
New York New YorkNew York New York
New York New York

The New York NY hotel and casino located on the strip. Opened in Jan 1997 to resemble the NYC skyline with the Empire State Building, The Chrysler Building and the NY Harbor. There is a roller coaster that goes through the inside and outside of the hotel. It is a lot faster than we expected. 67 mph with a 144ft drop off. Very cool hotel. The inside reminds you of walking down the street in NY. Pizza joints, bars and shopping down a cobblestone walkway.
Las Vegas BlvdLas Vegas Blvd
Las Vegas Blvd

One of the many moments that will make you feel very small in Vegas.
City CenterCity Center
City Center

Looking up at City Center
The DesertThe Desert
The Desert

We rented a car and drove to the Hoover Dam. We stopped to see the landscape along the way.
More DesertMore Desert
More Desert

More landscape. Hard to believe a city like Vegas can be built in such a vast area of nothing.
Hoover DamHoover Dam
Hoover Dam

We visited the Hoover Dam (on the border of Arizona and Nevada). Built between 1931 and 1936, during the great depression to provide power to NV, AZ and CA.
Hoover DamHoover Dam
Hoover Dam

There is enough concrete in the dam to pave a 2 lane highway from San Francisco to NY.
Penstock Tower - Hoover DamPenstock Tower - Hoover Dam
Penstock Tower - Hoover Dam

This is one of the 4 penstock towers. They are basically Pipes that deliver water to the turbines. Each one controls 1/4th of the suppy of water for the powerplant turbines. They are called the Arizona Upper, Arizona Lower, Nevada Upper and Nevada Lower.
Hoover DamHoover Dam
Hoover Dam

The dam eliminated the natural flooding of the Colorado river and formed Lake Mead, the largest reservoir in the US. You can see the ring where the water used to be. The past ten years of drought and population growth in the SW has drained the reservoir. Many people rely on Lake Mead for their everyday water, and if the level drops below 1050 ft, it will be impossible for the turbines to work...it's actually a huge problem.
Colorado RiverColorado River
Colorado River

We stopped upstream to see the views. Hard to tell in the picture, but the water level has dropped drastically here as well. There were pictures of it 50 years ago. Sad.


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb