Wedding Fever in Las Vegas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
March 20th 2011
Published: April 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

After our bumpy flight it was great to touch ground and head to our hotel - the Tropicana - which was at the end of the strip. It was after dark and the city was lit up brightly - Las Vegas in all its neon glory. We headed off down the strip to try to catch up with Mum and the rest of the family who were eating at a restaurant in Planet Hollywood. The strip is really long - about 12 klms - and we certainly weren’t planning on walking the length of it during our few days there. The family were just finishing their dinner and it was great to catch up with them. We all wandered across the road to watch the dancing fountains at the massive Bellagio Hotel - though all the hotels in Vegas were massive! Every 15 minutes the jets of water spurt up and it really is quite an impressive display, particularly if you stay for an hour and watch all the variations of the fountain movements.
Later that evening Ginny, Deb and I went for a walk before heading back to a lovely café in the foyer of the Bellagio. It was quite beautiful - colourful glass flowers lined the ceiling, and the café was next to the hotel’s flower conservatory so the perfume, particularly from the hundreds of hyacinths on display was nearly overpowering. I certainly never thought I would be having drinks with my sisters (minus Suzie sadly - she had to stay home and work) in Las Vegas - of all places.
Next day Ginny shopped and Jane and I tagged along with her and Mum. The prices for the clothes and shoes were very cheap at the big outlets but I had no spare space so really couldn’t buy too much. Ginny and Mum both ended up buying extra suitcases to take their purchases home. I did however buy the sneakers I wear in Australia - Brooks brand - $280 in Oz, $110 here. That night was Petra’s Hens Party - it was to be held at the plush Wynn Hotel. Jerry and Devin had gone to the Bucks Party with all the other men, leaving the ladies plenty of time and space to “glam” up in our sequins before going to meet Petra and the rest of the ladies. The restaurant was lovely, all black and white, and Petra had booked a long table - the whole length of which was fronted with hot pink velvet sofa. We all had a good laugh - Mum’s first Hens party for many years - she was slightly shocked (and amused) by all the usual hen’s night “accessories.” Ginny and Deb continued partying but Jane, Mum and I headed back to our hotel rooms.
I was expecting Las Vegas to be more full of neon glow - it certainly had plenty - but we’ve seen more neon lights in streets in China. One thing Vegas didn’t lack however were poker machines - we saw them every time we turned around. Even the airport had them in the arrivals hall! It was really sad actually to come down to breakfast in our hotel and see all the mature women, wearing bright red mini dresses and high silver heels, serving drinks in the poker game areas at 8am in the morning. I’m so pleased I don’t have to earn my living doing that.
Wedding day dawned for Petra - and I can only imagine how excited she must have been. This wedding had been two years in the planning and all the guests at the wedding had flown from either Australia or England. I spent the day with Mum and Ginny wandering around some of the hotels - Mum loved the Venetian - with it’s artifical canals and gondola rides. The shops at that hotel were all along the canals and it was really eerie as the whole area was simulated twilight! Quite weird as it was the middle of the day!
Back to the hotel to dress for the wedding. Petra had arranged for a bright blue strtch Hummer (it held 35 people - 12 video screens, nightclub lighting) to collect us all and take us to the wedding chapel. It was so much fun….
Petra looked beautiful - as all brides do! She broke with tradition and wore a dark grey knee length dress, personalised sequin stilettos and hot pink roses in her bouquet. The men all wore lime or bright orange ties - very unusual but also very Vegas! All aboard the stretch hummer for two hours of driving up and down the strip. We created a lot of attention which surprised me as I’ve never seen as many stretch limos etc as were on the streets and car parks in Vegas. Everywhere you looked you saw stretch vehicles of some type. First stop was the Vegas sign on the edge of the city - the spot every tourist must visit! After that we drove around - music, lights and champagne! It was great fun - not an experience I ever expect to repeat but definitely the only way to see the Strip! From there photos were taken at the Bellagio Fountains before we went to the wedding breakfast venue - the Buddha Bar. The food, décor and service was fabulous! Petra did the best job organising the whole wedding - from the other side of the world! I loved the wedding cake - check out the photo! It was sad to say goodbye to Mr and Mrs Pippen - they were off to spend a few days in LA (with Deb, Leon and Alyssa and Ben‘s family) before flying to Mexico for their honeymoon.
Devin, Jane, Jerry and I had a full day planned for our last day in Las Vegas - though actually it was to be spent at the Grand Canyon. An early start the next morning for a 15+ hour day tour. (next blog). I had enjoyed Las Vegas - I would never return but am glad I experienced it….




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb