Day 3 - XMAS Eve in Las Vegas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
December 24th 2010
Published: January 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Christmas Eve. Had brekky in our room, and I decided to wake up at 7.30 am to arrange to have the car hire extended as Luke was not going to be able to walk around as we’d hoped. He was still really drained and still sick. Managed to get extra 3 days for same price of $81.64 per day which was cheaper than hiring a new smaller car from Vegarse ! Not a bad car the Nissan Xterra . Boot space (or should I say trunk space) has been ideal for the initial stint.

I then decided I would venture out on my own with Tom Tom to find Mr Walmarts and get a couple of cell phones. I was well prepared with the address written down and I also planned to visit the Las Vegas Outlet Centre to do some orientation and come back at 1PM. Mr Tom Tom let me down by sending me down Vegas suburbia along East Flamingo Rd when I asked for East Tropicana Ave ?? (it could not have possibly been my fault eh !) However I did find the largest Sketchers Outlet Factory in the world as I was driving along. After driving so far I decided I was lost so I turned right and went back about a km until I hit a major intersection (guess what it was East Tropicana !) I turned right to head back to Vegas and about a few hundred metres I found Walmart. Stopped and went in. It was not as big as I had expected (a bit like KMart and Coles joined together but not one of their supercentres). I found the cell phones and got a great deal with two phones both with 130 minutes of credit for around $60- total and to last for 90 days. Also found some Lakers pyjamas for Luke for $15- and 88cents for a 1 litre powerade. Also bought some V8 juice packs really cheap as well.

I then went to the Las Vegas Factory Outlet which is undergoing external renovations and expansion. It's about 4km south from the bottom of the strip. Inside it is a really long narrow building with heaps of shops. I asked the chap at information where was Bose ? He said it was the last shop at the other end (great !) Had a look at some shops for prices Nike (3 t-shirts for $30), Timberland Winter Jackets 3-1 for $79-99, Adidas $10- T-Shirts and Soccer Jerseys for $49-99 and Tennis Shirts / Shorts for $20.00, Billabong T-Shirts 3 for $30.00. Bargains galore and not one empty shop anywhere (compare that with Barstow). Got my goodies from Bose (2 pairs of Noise Cancelling headphones for XMAS pressies for Mum & Dad US $299- vs AUD $500-) and headed back to Car Park and lucky I had a bearing with the monkey ballon on the roof of the petrol station or I had no chance of finding my car in this colossus of a car park.

Drove back to the Hotel along the strip and got back to the room around 1.15PM not bad to be close to on time. Family were keen to do something now as they had been waiting. Tried to get the phones activated but no luck so eventually we decided to head out to the same Factory Outlet I had been to earlier. Wow what a spending spree ! First Luke bought two NBA jerseys (Kobe Bryant and LeBron James) being the Swingman versions for $80-00 but they had a half price deal on second so got them both for $120- plus tax, then Kerry & Elise bought 2 pairs of shoes / boots each at Sketchers (same deal half price off 2nd pair), then Luke gets a Cap at Element (brand of Billabong), Jewellery for Elise’s friends, Timberland for Dad & Luke’s jackets. Left there at 5PM as had to get ready for our show tonight but we’ll be back here again as there is unfinished business.

Heaps of traffic coming back so I decided to take a short cut by turning into Tropicana and go around the back of MGM Grand rather than staying on the strip. Problem it was dark and I turned into MGM Lobby but found my way out and tried again and this time I got it right. Just a bit of extra sightseeing I said ! 5.30PM back in the room and we decided a quick change of clothes and hit the footpath (or should I say sidewalk !) to Mirage for the Terry Fator show with Dinner on the run as we had to get our tickets from Box Office. Huge crowds walking the streets but Vegas was out in bright lights as we went past Paris, Bellagio, Casears Palace (bit tricky crossing some intersections).

Got the tickets in the smoky old casino and had time to grab a bite at the Cafe. I had soup so did Kerry. Elise had Apple Pie and Luke had a burger. Apple Pie was huge, Soup looked like Urine but tasted good and probably healthier. Glass of coke was about 4 cans size all in one glass (ridiculous !). Went off the show at 7.30PM, and the DJ at the start was pretty funny but when he did his dancing he was unbelievable. Then Terry Fator and his cast of thousands (Elise can probably remember them all). My favourites were Elvis, Neighbour, Cougar, and Winston the Turtle. He is an amazing ventriloquist who can not only do it well but can also do impressions and even singing impressions including women singers. Luke did not smile much but he did not complain so that means he must have thought it was OK. Kerry said it was good and said Elise had loved it. It was a bit American as you’d expect and I was not sure content was going to be relevant to the kids but all went well. Walked back home and crowds still everywhere. Did the XMAS packing and off to bed.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb