Back into Nebraska


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nebraska » Thedford
September 13th 2017
Published: September 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

IMG_3188IMG_3188IMG_3188

Sandhills
This morning we pulled out of Wall, South Dakota. We didn't much care for the town but we sure do like Badlands National Park. We cruised through part of the park on our way out and stopped for a while at the visitor center, then continued east and south through the Pine Ridge reservation and the Rosebud reservation. I read some time ago that these were two of the most poverty stricken reservations. I don't know if that is still the case but the small Native towns that we passed through looked pretty run down.
Continuing down the back roads we crossed into northern Nebraska and on through the Nebraska Sandhills. The Sandhills are grasslands with endless mounds and hills that are like 10-20 feet high.
Somewhere along the way we crossed into the Central Time Zone, so we lost an hour today.
We camped for the night in the middle of Nebraska in a national forest. Its nice to be in trees again, although I understand that this forest is not here naturally; it was planted by the CCC in the 1930's. We are right next to a river, so tonight we have mosquitoes.
There aren't many pictures for today.
IMG_3184IMG_3184IMG_3184

Sandhills
I've posted enough prairie pictures already. Its hard to capture the appearance of the Sandhills but they are pretty cool. The blog is a day late this time because we don't have a cell signal tonight.
Tomorrow we will continue east across Nebraska.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

IMG_3186IMG_3186
IMG_3186

Sandhills
IMG_3190IMG_3190
IMG_3190

Campsite in central Nebraska
IMG_3191IMG_3191
IMG_3191

River in front of the camper


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb