Exploring Yellowstone, Day 1


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » West Yellowstone
September 6th 2017
Published: September 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

IMG_3023IMG_3023IMG_3023

Thermal area
There was frost on the car when I got up this morning. It was only 28 degrees here in West Yellowstone. What a difference from a week ago in Zion, where it was 102.
We spent basically the whole day today in the national park and only covered half of it, despite driving about a hundred miles. Yellowstone is a big place. Barb and I have been to Yellowstone once before, 24 years ago, in 1993. Of course, memories have a way of sweetening with time, but our visit today didn't measure up to 1993. The roads and facilities were in better shape but there was far more people, and that is in the middle of the week and after Labor Day. The bigger disappointment was that we saw far less wildlife. Maybe it was due to the time of year, since our previous visit was in June. Today we did see large herds of bison in one area, which was a beautiful sight, and a few more scattered here and there. We saw one elk and one mule deer, some trumpeter swans, and that was about it.
The scenery was still beautiful of course, and we watched Old Faithful erupt.
IMG_3029IMG_3029IMG_3029

Old Faithful
And I did fish a little in the Yellowstone River (didn't catch anything).
I guess its just hard to top fond memories. Still, I'm thankful for a good day spent together in a beautiful and wild place.
Hoping to do some more fishing in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

IMG_3030IMG_3030
IMG_3030

Turquoise water in a thermal area. Yellowstone Lake in background.
IMG_3035IMG_3035
IMG_3035

Bison herds along the Yellowstone River
IMG_3041IMG_3041
IMG_3041

Upper Falls of the Yellowstone River


Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb