Boiling River


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Gardiner
August 11th 2014
Published: July 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 45.0319, -110.705

Weather: High 80s and blue skies. Perfect weather from sunrise to sunset. 
 Location: Gardiner, MT/ Yellowstone
 Highlights: Boiling River
 Lowlights: thought of leaving
 #of Swearwords: 0
 People we met: 
 Activities:Picnic in Yellowstone and a dip in the Boiling River at sunset
 Hotel: Cowboy Cabins (still awesome!)
 Helpful hint: Visit Boiling river early in the morning or in the evening to avoid crowds and heat. The water is HOT. 
 Restaurants: Iron Horse Bar and Grill

Today was more of a relax day. Casual wake up and run into town to do laundry and gift shop. We packed up a lunch and had a picnic at the iphone creek so the kids could swim in the water. They loved it. It isn't too far into the park so made for a nice trip.

We came back to town for a lemonade and fries at Iron Horse on their deck overlooking the river and town. We went back to the cabin and Paul and I took a nap while the kids played together quietly. Perfection. We had pulled pork sandwiches with cole slaw at the cabin for dinner. Delish. 

Around 700, we headed back into Yellowstone to the Boiling river. It is about 10 minutes in and a 15 minute hike along the riverbank
to the spot where God's magic happens. The heat of the molten lava (remember we are on top of a Super Volcano) heat the water in the ground and at this spot it waterfalls into the Yellowstone river at a temperature untouchable by the human hand. When it mixes with the fast flowing water, it creates a natural hot tub right in the river. Unreal. People have built up rock ledges to hold in the warm water. It is the craziest thing I've ever seen. We sat in the hot (sometimes really hot) bath while the sun set over the mountains in pinks and blues. Truly perfection. The kids loved it. There were people there but not as many as during the day. Everyone found their little pockets or personal hot tubs and enjoyed. A must if you go to Yellowstone. Some people go early in the morning but we think sunset is perfect. 

Tomorrow we head to Cody Wyoming via the upper loop of Yellowstone and out the West Gate. That is where the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone is. Sad but excited for our next adventure. I heard Elizabeth say she loves to road trip. We may never return. Something about open roads and new adventures. Seeing things you've only read about or have seen on tv. We are already planning our next year's trip.

Cody bound.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Our Own Hot TubOur Own Hot Tub
Our Own Hot Tub

Sorry M & M, this hot tub beats yours. ;)


14th August 2014

Why can't you rotate your phone 90 degrees for a horizontal picture?

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb