Montana, Big Sky for sure!!! and Wyoming


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Bozeman
June 13th 2006
Published: June 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Montana Farm HouseMontana Farm HouseMontana Farm House

We both loved seeing the beautiful countryside and a little piece of Americana!!
We hit the road after yet another late checkout - we decided to hit the local Target and Petco. We really didn’t need anything; we just wanted to see if the Target in Montana had the same stuff as the ones in Southern California. Guess what! They do!! Plus, they sell spurs, alfalfa cubes, and tractor oil right there - very handy!

After a few necessity purchases and a quick gas stop, we hit he road around noon at a balmy 72 degrees. Montana is truly one of the most beautiful spots in the world. No particular place in Montana - pretty much the whole state is a winner in our book.

We stopped for lunch in a little town called Hardin at a lovely little joint called the Purple Cow. Cute little place… very, um, homey. Both Kathryn and Beth ordered fried Indian tacos - don’t worry, no Indians were harmed in the making of our lunch. The lady at the Purple Cow informed us that there was a park a few blocks away in the bustling metropolis of Downtown Hardin (population 867), so we decided to take our Indian tacos and this frosty concoction Kathryn ordered -
The Purple Cow, Harden, MontanaThe Purple Cow, Harden, MontanaThe Purple Cow, Harden, Montana

We had lunch at the Purple Cow Family Restaurant. Yummy Indian Tacos, waaaay too much food!!
something called a Purple Cow - go figure. Now, that kind of begs the questions, did they name the drink after the establishment or vice versa. Anyhow - we made it to the park…the park where PETS AREN’T ALLOWED! So the girls sat patiently in the car while Beth and Kathryn mowed their food down.

Then it was back on the road. We didn’t stop again until Sheridan, Wyoming. We needed to make another gas stop. Shortly before we decided to exit, several US Forest Service FIRE TRUCKS pulled onto the freeway next to us. Those of you who know Beth know just how enthusiastic she is about the men and women who risk their lives to drag babies out of burning buildings, or in this case, burning cabins or trees or something. Okay, not so much the men and women, mostly just the men… Along our trip we had seen at least a dozen fire trucks headed the OPPOSITE direction - and that was getting Beth was rather agitated, and lo and behold, our very own convoy. But regrettably, it was short lived; about two miles down the road we had to pull off the freeway to refuel. Much to our surprise, one of the trucks pulled off as well. They smiled politely, but none of them even bothered to say hello. They weren’t following us - apparently they REALLY needed that four and a half gallons of gas they stopped for…

Our plan was to stop in Casper, Wyoming for the evening and we made it there in fairly good time. A lot of you have inquired as to whether or not we have met any cowboys, and, unfortunately, we have not. And now we know why. ALL off them are in Casper. Alas, there was no room at the inn… any of the inns. I thought that cowboys liked to camp under the stars in the great wide open, not nestled up next to a built-in blow dryer, complimentary coffee, and pay-per-view movies at the Holiday Inn. Boy, have times changed.

There is a little town called Glendo about 75 miles outside of Casper. They had a room available - it was either that or drive all the way to Cheyenne. We entertained the idea of staying at this little no-name place until Beth called and got the details. It was $32 for the
Hitching Post InnHitching Post InnHitching Post Inn

Very nice place to stay!!
night, no TV, no phone, the train goes by a lot, etc. We were pretty sure that they had hourly rates, too. At one point, Beth was pretty sure that the guy answering her questions really didn’t want to work that evening. So, we decided to head towards Cheyenne. We called and made reservations at the Best Western Hitching Post - we got their LAST room. The air conditioning didn’t work, but the room was huge and clean. The staff was very friendly and it was a great place to stay. Their staff, décor and ambiance, rates, and other amenities like coffee shops, gift shops, etc, really made this place a great stop. If you’re ever in Cheyenne and need a place to stop - call the Best Western Hitching Post!



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Montana LandscapeMontana Landscape
Montana Landscape

We felt very small in the middle of all this!
Yellowstone RiverYellowstone River
Yellowstone River

It was kind of funny that the only places we saw the Yellowstone River was outside of Yellowstone, this is still in Montana.
Highway 90 headed eastHighway 90 headed east
Highway 90 headed east

There were times we felt like we were in the middle of nowhere, but we sure enojyed the view!
Lunch Stop, Harden, MontanaLunch Stop, Harden, Montana
Lunch Stop, Harden, Montana

We ate our tacos in the park, sadly no dogs were allowed in the park so they had to stay in the car.
Little Bighorn Battlefield Gift ShopLittle Bighorn Battlefield Gift Shop
Little Bighorn Battlefield Gift Shop

We skipped the battlefield and just checked out the gift shop. They had fresh Indian Fry Bread cooking, smelled wonderful even though we just ate Indian Fry Bread, but Beth bought some mix!!
Handicapped Parking Handicapped Parking
Handicapped Parking

The Little Bighorn Battlefield (Custer's last stand) is on the Crow Indian Reservation. This was the handicapped parking in front of the gift shop- funny, huh??
Laundramat???Laundramat???
Laundramat???

We just thought this was funny...
Airplane on a Train?Airplane on a Train?
Airplane on a Train?

There were three of these on this train, if anybody knows why, please tell us, we thought maybe an exhibit on it's way somewhere??
Beth, or Pippi???Beth, or Pippi???
Beth, or Pippi???

Beth's braids provided some entertainment along the way, we have video, too...
Kiyoshi, sleeping, some more...Kiyoshi, sleeping, some more...
Kiyoshi, sleeping, some more...

We kept having to push her back in the back seat because she would gradually scoot her way up between us...but isn't she cute???


15th June 2006

Wow you guys are covering some serious territory! It looks beautiful and sounds like you're having a great time! I love all the pictures and stories!! Keep 'em coming :)
15th June 2006

Hello!!!
Hi Ladies!!! Hope y'all are having a great time! The pictures are beautiful. Y'all are driving through the prettiest parts of the country. Enjoy the sights. Kathryn, hope you come back.... Beth have a safe trip back.... Take care, T.J.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb