Glentana, Montana


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Montana » Big Sky
August 7th 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The RewardThe RewardThe Reward

Caractacus Potts, eat your heart out!
Next stop was with more gracious and hospitable relatives in the small farming community of Glentana, North East of Ford Peck Indian Reservation. This whole area is grain country, and according to an article in the Great Falls Tribune on 4th August, the quality of wheat grown here is ideal for making “big, fluffy buns” as used in McDonald’s Big Macs. Glentana has a permanent population of only 12 residents, but has its own church and post office. This used to be a thriving little community, but like many similar settlements in this area it has declined in recent years, as individual homesteaders are no longer able to compete with the big land owners. There are several derelict buildings, including an impressive old school house and a few deserted homesteads, complete with old, rusting farm machinery. We arrived just in time to help with preparations for the harvest, and Tom was so into the farm life that we stayed on an extra day! As a reward for Tom’s efforts, we were treated to a ride around the farm in an old Model T Ford, which was great fun and undoubtedly the highlight of Tom’s holiday (if not his life) to date.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Deserted homesteadsDeserted homesteads
Deserted homesteads

Caractacus Potts, eat your heart out!
Down on the farmDown on the farm
Down on the farm

Tom's new job!


Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb