Day 2: A Millionaire in the Hand is Worth... Well, A Million!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Missouri » St Louis
September 23rd 2008
Published: September 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Thrifty Travel Tip #2: Talk to the locals - you might find a nice place to stay or at least, the best place in town to grab a good meal.

Thrifty Travel Tip #3: Shop at the grocery stores and eat in the car.

Hello again, this time from St. Louis, MO!!!

We left oxford pretty early but didn't make it very far but for good reason. We had a good start when we woke up early at Tom's around 9 AM. Dustin and I know that eating on the road can get expensive, so we decided to stop at Kroger and load up on groceries... and a maple covered coffee roll with pecans. Don't be surprised, we needed the sugar to stay awake for such a long ride! On a serious note, stopping at the grocery store before a long trip can be a great move. We spent 28 dollars and bought mostly carbs and protein - granola bars, triscuits, wheat thins, bread, PB, Jelly, pouch chicken and tuna; stuff that keeps well and fills you up. We also bought a few apples in addition to those that we brought and some other fruit that need not be refridgerated. 28 dollars sounds like a lot for car food but that's lunch for a good 5 days believe it or not. After tipping, lunch on the road for 2 days would cost you AT LEAST 30 unless your eating fast food, and even then it adds up fast, so stop at the store!!!

We left the Ox Box by about 11 after many thank yous and goodbyes via text message. We headed towards St. Louis and drove and drove and drove. Since Dustin and I have had changing tastes in music lately, we started a rule that whoever was driving could pick the cd and the passenger could skip a song if they absolutely hated it. The passenger picks when the driver can't think of anything they want to hear or just doesn't care. It seems like a silly rule to enact but anyone that knows Dustin and I well knows how important music is to us : )

We got into St Louis around 5 our time, 4 St. Louis time. You'd think that when you're traveling oit'd be great to gain a hour but surprisingly, all the time change has done has made us want to eat (hello early bird specials!) and go to bed earlier... it makes us feel like old farts. We were both very excited to see the arch and we drove around St. Louis looking for where to park. This is not as obvious as one would think and by the time we actually found out where to go, we had parked in the middle of a church sidewalk and explored it, took several pictures with a helicopter in tribute to Arnold and Predator ("Get to the Chopper!",) and found some weird sculpture of some sea grass by the river walk.

By the time we got to the arch it was around 5 and boy, we were we excited. We couldn't wait to ride the elevator to the HUGE arch, St. Louis' greatest landmark. We raced up the steps, down the ramps, through security, and finally to the ticket booth... where we found out tickets were 10 bucks a pop. Dustin and I looked at each other and said "F**k it." We were, however, determined to have a d*mn good time in the arch, so we took the opportunity to take some ridiculous pictures in the museum which will be posted very, very soon. By now, it was 6 (7, OH time!) and we were starving so we took a walk around the city after asking a few locals where to go, and we found a very special restaurant with a very special person we were destined to meet.

The restaurant we choose after check out a few bars and blazee steakhouses was a Japanese/Sushi place with a serious happy hour called "The Drunken Fish." The sushi was 1/2 off and our app was discounted too; the food was absolutely yummy and so, so fresh. When Dustin went to the restroom, a women walked into the bar and sat next to me. She was pretty and young and began chatting with me and another women who was on the other side of her at the bar. She introduced herself as Ree and told me she was a developer. The three of us ladies got to talking and laughing and by the time Dustin came back, I had lost his seat to another patron since my back was turned to the women the entire time!! We all had to scoot down a seat and though I was embarrassed, i was happy to have made a few new friends in the city. By the end of our dinner, Ree had offered us a place to stay for the night and was off to another bar. She suggested we check out a place called the loop, where we found a coldstone and walked up and down both sides of the street. It turned out to be similar to a giant Coventry, with a wine bar and a cool vintage record store.

After touring the loop on Durham Dr., Dustin and I were so exhausted and with no place to stay, Dustin suggested we call Ree. Me, being my crabby and stubborn self, said we should camp but Dustin was not having it, no way, no how. I gave in and texted Ree who said she would be back in an hour and texted her address. Having nothing to do and no inclination to find something to do, i pulled the car over and went to sleep for an hour and Dustin relaxed next to me. When I woke up, Dustin had the address and was ready to go. He started driving, having navigated the route for himself and I dozed off again. When I woke but up, Dustin was cursing up a storm, telling me he had no idea where he was or how to find the house. I suggested he call Ree (sometimes we need this simple guidance at the end of a long day.) We pulled up to an average looking, old house. Dustin and I sighed and got out of the car with what we needed for the night. Ree greeted us with a smile and invited us in.

Ree's guest house was in the back and it looked small and cramped but when she opened the front door, the inside was absolutely stunning. High ceilings, beautiful hardwood floors, a big, flatscreen tv, complete kitchen, king size bed, full bath and 1/2... the works. We thought we died and went to heaven. Ree then gave us the grand tour of her house which included 4 floors with 5 beds and 4 baths, a bar (with a pole, WR!) and a theatre room. Our kind host offered us a few beers and as we got to talking we found out Ree was British, moved to the states when she was 14, was a millionare by the time she was 23, and is involved in the music business! On top of it all shes as sweet and humble as could be with a personality and sense of humor that's worth well over a million. Lesson: Take the time to get to know the locals. We love you, Ree!!!!! Another good nights sleep, thanks to our new friend.

Much Love, See you on the Road!

L+D

TRIP: Cleveland===> Oxford ====> St Louis ====>?

Stay tuned for "Day 3: The Chocolate Conundrum"

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb