Paint, paint and more paint


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Missouri » Joplin
August 3rd 2013
Published: August 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

August 1 was our cultural day and we volunteered in the morning for Catholic Charities of Southwest Missouri. While we were picking up one build site, we started to walk around the neighborhood and one gentleman was outside tending to his yard. The yard was immaculate and the house so cute from the outside. He invited us over and brought us inside. He is 91 years old and he, his two daughters and 7 dogs survived the tornado by covering themselves up with a blanket and holding on to each other. He was fortunate as a few years ago a storm had damaged his roof and when it was replaced the walls of his house were also reinforced. If his house has not had those improvements, it would have been totally destroyed in the tornado. Many people in Joplin freely shared their stories with us. The rest of our cultural day was spent at the campground that Linda and Harry are staying at. We enjoyed sitting by (or in) the river and relaxing for the rest of the day. Each day a round of games seems to be how we close out the day. Liar's Dice has been our game of choice. 17 Sixes is Dave's starting bid.

Stephanie was another Joplin resident we got to meet today (Aug 2). She received a Habitat House earlier this year and wanted to show us what a finished home looked like. Her story was also inspiring, even down to a painting her mother made in April 2011 with three flowers to represent her and her two daughters. In the background she painted a tornado with tears coming from it to water the flowers. Her mother didn't know why she painted it, but it now is very symbolic for Stephanie. She also showed us her new tornado shelter. Now whenever bad weather approaches, or the sirens go off, Stephanie and her son seek shelter underground. It's almost like a scene from Twister.

Today was also another painting da --a coat of primer and two coats of eggshell throughout another Habitat home under construction. Emily and Kris have become master painters. It was en enjoyable day to paint with the home owner, Charles and his two teenage granddaughters. It's a little bitter sweet to think that tomorrow is our last build day in Joplin. We have learned so much about the resilience of the people of this community and wonder how we'd react in a similar situation. The human spirit is strong and as Stephanie shared, God is very good!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0759s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb