The East Side of the Mississippi


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Mississippi » Clinton
November 2nd 2017
Published: November 3rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


blog 11-02-17 The East Side of the Mississippi UGH!

Today we drove on I 20 through 3 states. Not exactly through them but we drove in 3 states today. Finally out of Texas we sailed through Louisiana and almost half way through Mississippi before we settled for the night in a fairly nice rv park in Clinton, MS. The only really bad part is that we are now on the wrong side of the Mississippi. : ( .

We are getting tired of driving everyday so in Birmingham, AL we will spend 2 nights at one campground and visit a friend of Ginnie's for lunch one day then the rest of the time just chilling out.

I can't say enough about the dogs and how good they have been. No matter what we throw at them they are happy and eager to participate in anything. They have played together and defended our turf and each other all the time. Watson will bark at anything but Linus and Alfy don't seem to get tired of seeing what's going on. Usually it's just Watson barking but they are there just in case.

The biggest problem has been their feet. So many campgrounds have stones that you drive on, park the rv on and just walk around on but for these tenderfooted dogs it really hurts. When there is grass it has these little "mines" that stick to their feet and get in or between their pads. They stop dead and try to bite them out but it's not easy. I have cut them out of Watson's fur between his toes and twice had to grab the tweezers and pull a thorn like a rose bush thorn out of his foot pad. Very painful, I've had some too.

Linus is the worst with his tender feet. The stones really hurt him so we have taken to walking on the road or sand where we can find it. Now we have real grass that is soft and green and our 4 legged friends are much happier for it.

Ginnie added her last state to her map for this trip. I will include a before picture and after. There are 3 states missing, she has vowed to come back.

We are driving about 250 miles a day changing drivers often which is good especially on a day like today with a 30 mph full to the side wind. It will blow you several feet especially on an overpass or when a tractor trailer passes. The driver must remain constantly alert.

We stopped today at the welcome center in Mississippi and it was right along the river.There was a tug boat pushing a barge up river and the barge must have been 300 yds long. The boat was struggling against the current and left quite a wake. It truly is the mighty Mississippi.

Tomorrow it's Hoover, AL for 2 nights, looking forward to the rest.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 35; dbt: 0.1598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb