Maiden Rock West Campground


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Minnesota
June 15th 2017
Published: June 19th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Thursday, June 15 2017: After just over an hour drive we arrived at Camp Maiden Rock in Morristown, Mn. We were greeted by two goats as we entered the office. A woman (maybe in her 60's) checked us in. She seemed friendly enough. The office was part of their home. We set up camp on site 16. We had a nice open area to ourselves with others behind us and across the road. It was pretty quiet on a Thursday with just a small group coming in and only a few seasonals there yet. After setting up camp we relaxed a bit and took a nap. After our R&R we sat outside for a bit on our iPads. We were getting hungry so we made a homemade pizza. After dinner we took the bikes for a little ride down to the river, around camp and down the bike trail a little ways. We noticed the bugs were pretty bad. Back at camp we set up our citronella candles/burners. It started to cool off too. We ended the evening by the fire listening to the sounds of nature and some traffic from the nearby highway. It felt good to be camping again!!!

Friday, June 16 2017: Today is our 27th Anniversary!! We made our usual camp breakfast of eggs, hashbrowns, bacon and toast. We wanted to see where we could launch the kayaks so we took a short drive to a bridge that the camp owner had mentioned. That is where we would launch. Jeff approached our neighbors to see if anyone could bring our car back to camp for us. A nice senior gentleman volunteered. It was much appreciated. We packed our things for the trip across Lake Sakatah and down the Cannon River. As we took our first paddle strokes we noticed the river was very green and full of algae. Only a couple fisherman were on the lake. Our paddle across the lake took about 30 min. The water was very calm. We floated by trees and tall grass areas down the river. We saw and heard many types of birds. Our total trip down to the access at our campground only took 1 hr. 45 min. It was so calm and peaceful on the river with only us and nature. Feeling sweaty, we took showers at the campground facility. They were fairly clean but quite old with just the cement walls/floors. During Jeff's shower he nicked his lip shaving and it wouldn't stop bleeding for several hours. Leftover pizza was for lunch. hen it was time for more R&R. Cause that's what you do when you camp right? Jeff played his on his iPad while I sat outside painting my toes. A storm started rolling in around 5:30. Dinner for the night was philly steak sandwiches. Some friends we recently met in Waconia were also staying at the campground and were just arriving. We stopped in to see them. Jon and Diane. They live in our Bent Creek neighborhood and recently bought a new 5th wheel. We toured their camper which was very nice with an island in the kitchen and nice comfortable sitting area with two recliners. After some chatted they came to check out our motorhome which they were very impressed by. We grabbed some drinks and chairs and headed back to their camp for a fire. A few shots, drinks and some laughter and good conversation we ended the night about 1:00 (I think).

Saturday June 17, 2017 After sleeping in until 9:30 and waking up feeling just a bit hungover, we had some breakfast. Jeff was feeling it more than I. Thankfully my Excederin before bed cured my headache/hangover that I usually feel in the AM. By noon we were off for a hike at the nearby Sakatah State Park. Obtaining another hiking club trail password was our goal. The park is heavily wooded and a bit muddy in some areas from the recent rain falls. The bugs were out in full force! After nearly missing the password, we cut our hike short due to the very annoying bugs. Drove around the park to see the campsites and the fishing dock before heading back to camp for lunch. One of our favorite camp meals: pesto grilled cheese sandwiches with caramalized onions. Then it was R&R time once again. The clouds started rolling in late afternoon/early evening. We were able to grill our steak dinner just before the rain started. This evening a band "Been Jammin'" was going to be playing. Luckily they set up inside a building because the rain was coming down pretty good just as they were starting to play around 7:00. We were one of the first to arrive. We found a seat and listened and watched the rain. Throughout the night people would come and go. The wasn't all that bad. Played some good older tunes. Our friends never showed up to join us as they couldn't leave their dogs in the camper for fear they would keep barking. We listened to the band until they ended while being entertained by a group of dancers (maybe in their 50's). They were having a great time. Jon and Diane never responded back to our text and the rain was coming down pretty good so we headed into the camper. The rain let up just long enough for Jeff to cook up some bacon wrapped shrimp and jalapenos. They were good and very spicy hot!! We played our Facebook games awhile before heading to bed.

Sunday June 18, 2017: It's Father's Day today! We woke about our usual time around 9:30. Some of the campers had already packed up and left. We grabbed a quick breakfast and then said good-bye to Jon and Diane before taking a short bike ride down the bike trail. It was part of the State Park and was a nice smooth paved trail. It was then time to clean, pack and hit the road for home. All and all a good trip. We were still able to do the things we enjoy (kayak, hike and bike) despite the rain.



Campground Review: Besides the outdated look to the place, it wasn't a bad place. It was a large property with a full sized disc golf, disc driving range, a mini-golf, v-ball, b-ball, outdoor pool and right off the bike trail. There were lots of things to do there and it was near a State Park. The playground was "old-school" and the mini-golf was pretty outdated but they added to the character of this place along with the older buildings and vintage decor. We did not visit the pool but we did use the showers in the main office building and they were fairly decent but still outdated. They offered full hook-ups near the seasonal's and also electric and primitive sites. We would stay here again just because of the location being near a State Park and access to a river for kayaking.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0644s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb