Apartment Hunting, The Epitome of Commercialism (MOA), & Art that Makes the Heart Beat Faster


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Minnesota » Minneapolis » Uptown
June 10th 2009
Published: June 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We took the scenic route into Minneapolis on Friday through the South suburbs to unload my suff into storage, before heading to the hotel. The hotel was very nice, although we thought one Concierge, Kathryn, might be a indentured servant because she was always there working every time we left and came back. However, she finally got the day off on Monday when we decided to stay an extra day to find the perfect apartment as I did not believe I had been thorough enough over the weekend. However, I am getting ahead of myself.

After checking into the hotel on Friday afternoon, we had to run buy some black dress shoes for my meeting with my internship advisor at the giant 2-level Target in Downtown (Minneapolis is the Corporate Headquarters and birthplace of Target BTW), because I forgot to do so in Madison. For dinner on Friday, we went to visit Eric's Uncle Mike and Aunt Sarah, and their kids (Megan, & Michael) in Minnetonka, MN (about 20 min outside the city), had some pizza and drinks at their place. We had a really good time sitting by the fire pit in the backyard, playing frisbee, soccer, and monkey in the middle with the kids, despite the fact that Jon (Christina's boyfriend who joined us from Madison again) gave Megan a bruised knee, not 1 min after he walked in the door, way to go Jon! jk. After the kids started getting ready for bed, we went out to a local bar and had some good times listening to the live band over a couple of drinks with Mike.

On Saturday, we were supposed to arise bright and early to go apartment hunting, but we didn't get moving until around 11am. We grabbed some burgers at Brit's Pub on Nicollet Mall, which has lawn bowling! (but it was raining so we didn't get to do...), before seeing the 1st apt. It was a nice little apt. downtown right next to Loring Park, but it was a little to high priced for the square footage. However, we did get to see the exhibits at the Walker Art Museum and the MInneapolis Sculpture Garden that morning which were very interesting (including one called the Quick and the Dead which the taxidermic dog and the living woman curled up in the corner freaked me out big time!

That afternoon, not
Dandelion FountainDandelion FountainDandelion Fountain

In Loring Park
having much more apartment hunting luck, we decided to go check out the Mall of America, which is HUGE!!! I think we walked about 5 miles and only went around each of the 3 floors 1 time! It has tons of stores, 2 food courts, 1 gynormous movie theater with vibrating seats, Lego World, a wedding chapel, and a Nickelodeon theme park right in the center of everything! We had pizza for dinner, then went out to a couple of clubs (Saloon, and The 90's) downtown that night to check out the local nightlife, which started off to be a disappointment, but turned out to be a fun night after all.

Finally, on Monday, after extending our stay, we found a great 1 bedroom apartment in Uptown, with hardwood floors (and which will be getting new carpet and new kitchen appliances before he moves in) which is the near the 3 lakes area, 100 ft from the bike path which is about 10 miles from his internship on campus, and most definitely has more square footage than the apartment downtown (and FREE parking! :-). I am no longer homeless! Eric also has been interviewing potential roomies and I think is one step closer to also not being homeless. Next stop, the Badlands of South Dakota!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Did someone forget their coat?Did someone forget their coat?
Did someone forget their coat?

In mean their face???
Fish Made of GlassFish Made of Glass
Fish Made of Glass

By Frank Gehry
Sculpture Fountain DowntownSculpture Fountain Downtown
Sculpture Fountain Downtown

caleb like's water
Shopping Cart Elevator in TargetShopping Cart Elevator in Target
Shopping Cart Elevator in Target

Now why don't we have one of these in South Carolina??


10th June 2009

Wow, more cool sculptures - I'm thinking perhaps Charleston could use a few more modern items...but that would be, you know, modern... I do love Charleston's architecture and gardens, though, so I can't complain too much!

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb