Meddling in Michigan


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan
June 2nd 2012
Published: June 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Memorial day weekend is the gateway to summer. Pools open, lake houses get trashed, docks are installed, and more beer is consumed then the average weekend. Most people have their traditions when it comes to this celebrated weekend. For me, I have always done something completely different. For the 2012 Memorial Day weekend, I was to venture into the wilderness of Michigan with my mother, her friend, to meet with her friend, who had brought more friends...Confusing right? I was stepping into an uncharted territory. But it was a holiday so what the hell.

After a four-hour car ride, a nasty continuous storm, and a forty-degree drop in the temperature (no joke) we made it to our final destination. This cabin was unlike I had ever seen. In the 1930's a wealthy industrial owner purchased a hunk of 3,000 aches in the middle of nowhere to hunt and fish. It had been passed down, and a man by the name of Ron purchased it back in the 1990s. He had transformed it, while keeping its original splendor, into the greatest of all adult playgrounds. It had boats to play around in the peaceful gas free lake, water slides, a homemade zip line, a beautiful garage filled with motor and mountain bikes, a volleyball court, and a cabin with enough beds to house the octo-mom and her extended family. It was heaven.

The three days were filled with male bonding. We played corn hole, took out the paddleboards, drank beer, rode bikes, drank beer, eat until the verge of vomit and then drank more beer. The nights were quiet; everyone was either in a food coma or passed out from too much alcohol, or both. 


Sitting alone out on the dock one evening while the sun was setting one evening I couldn't help but wonder, what more do you really need in life?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb