Home Sweet Home


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan
October 11th 2007
Published: October 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Scenic ViewScenic ViewScenic View

We were here years ago on a clear summer day and the view was impressive. This day it was interesting with the fog limiting our visibility.

Upper Peninsula


We headed north from Hayward to rejoin US#2and our journey east. It was a hot and humid day and we feel the heat more, since enjoying a cool summer in Alaska. As we headed east on US#2 we decided to take another detour and go north to the Keweenaw Peninsula. We felt that it would be cooler there and we could wait out the heat before heading south. We arrived in Hancock and camped along the waterway. A nice cool front rolled through and brought lots of rain and fog. We haven’t been in this area since the 1980’s, so we enjoyed rediscovering it.

Lizzie had enjoyed our summer without thunderstorms, so she had a very restless night with the storm that brought in the cool air. We spent 3 nights near Hancock and the wind was brutal each night, but would be mild during the day.

Our scenic drive up to and beyond Copper Harbor alternated between fog and low clouds. We both were surprised to see so many trees that still have their leaves. I expected not to see any significant fall color until we were in the Lower Peninsula. We’re enjoying the tastes
Camped along the waterwayCamped along the waterwayCamped along the waterway

This is along the waterway that runs between Hancock and Houghton.
of Michigan and have had Lake Superior Whitefish, pasties and Vernors so far.

RV Problems


The day we decided to pack up and leave Hancock it began as uneventful day. We had the usual wind and rain in the night, but the morning was less foggy. The first problem was that the ceiling around the bathroom skylight was wet. More rain was predicted, so some sort of repair needed to be done while it wasn’t raining. George took the bikes off the back of the RV, so he could climb the ladder to get to the roof. Fortunately the wind was calm when he was up there, and he ended up using duct tape to make a quick temporary repair. Inside he took down the plastic moldings around the skylight, so it could dry out quicker.

The next problem we discovered when we were leaving. Sometimes it takes a while for the hydraulic jack indicator light to go out. Unfortunately, this time the problem was not with the light but that the jacks did not retract. I’m so glad that George is handy with this kind of stuff. He discovered a wire had come off and once he reconnected it, everything was fine.

Lower Peninsula


The Mackinac Bridge was a welcome sight. There were wind advisories for high profile vehicles, so the speed limit was 20 miles per hour. It has been exciting to be arriving home after such a long, but wonderful trip. We’ve been on the go for almost 5 months and I’m looking forward to catching up with friends and family. When I think about our trip I smile from the top of my head to the tips of my toes. I can now understand the look that I would always see in peoples eyes when they would tell us about their trip to Alaska. We should be home tomorrow, so this will be the last blog for this trip. It's time to start planning our next trip.

Visited US States Map








Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

US 41US 41
US 41

I was surprised to read that this road goes all the way to Miami from the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula.
Lake SuperiorLake Superior
Lake Superior

North wind and lots of waves.
Lake MichiganLake Michigan
Lake Michigan

Calm and sunny.
Mackinac BridgeMackinac Bridge
Mackinac Bridge

A welcome sight.


13th October 2007

We're so glad you had a wonderful trip and look forward to seeing you. Your last comment 'It's time to start planning our next trip' reminds me of myself. We even had a decale put on the back of the 5th wheel that says "Where to Next". See you soon.

Tot: 0.282s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 19; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1155s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb