chapter 2


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan » Traverse City
February 27th 2007
Published: February 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Petosky BearPetosky BearPetosky Bear

A bear made from Petosky Stones!

There are several lakes in and around Traverse City. Grand Traverse Bay is right next to the city, which of course gets it water from Lake Michigan. The landform features hills and flats with land holding a sandy soil, some areas having clay deposits. These soils do not hold water well making agriculture more difficult as the soil does not hold moisture well. In general, the climate is a four-season one and the big influence on the seasons, their extremes etc., is Traverse City’s proximity to Lake Michigan. Regarding severe weather, blizzards and frost, both of which can damage crops, are the most problematic for the area.
Unique to the area are petotsky stones which is a rock, often pebble-shaped, that is composed of a fossilized coral. These stones were formed as a result of glaciation. There are no mountain regions in the Lower Peninsula, which is where Traverse City is. The Upper Peninsula has the Porcupine Mountains. As you go further inland from the sandy beaches of Lake Michigan you enter hardwood and conifer forests. Juniper, wildflowers all grow well in these areas.



Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0933s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb