Biking Michigan's Muskegon Lakeshore Trail


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan » Muskegon
September 30th 2011
Published: October 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Muskegon Lakeshore Trail

Text and Photos last updated: September 2018
Number of times we have biked this trail: Four





Location: Muskegon Michigan
Distance: approx 13 km
Distance markers: yes
Surface: Asphalt, concrete and raised boardwalks
Width: 3 to 4 metres
Grade: Flat
Conditions of trail: excellent
Parking: various
Water: none
Washrooms: many
Garbage bins only at parks
Rest Areas: many benches and tables
Trail marking: good

This is a scenic waterfront trail that follows the shoreline of Muskegon Lake with views of Lake Michigan as well.

The trail starts at Pere Marquette Beach (mile 0) and ends at Muskegon Lake Nature Preserve mile 8. The address is 2431 Lake Avenue or GPS co-ordinates: N43.264956 and W 086 251489) This is mile 8 but with loops, this can be increased to 13 miles. The beach area is easy to find if you want to start there.

Free Parking is available at both ends and at various parks along the route.

A connection with the Fred Meijer Berry Junction trail (see separate Blog) is in progress and plans are also in the works for a connection with the Musketawa Trail (see separate Blog)

The trail is very smooth and except for the raised boardwalks (made of boards) would be suitable for in-line skaters. Raised walkways likely make up a couple of kilometres of the trail as it passes over marshlands and wetlands.

There are many clean porta-potties along the trail in the parks.

Benches and picnic tables abound near the beginning of the trail with fewer as it gets near the end.

There are a few places to get food within sight of the trail but otherwise, you need to head into town for more variety.

As you travel along the shore of Lake Muskegon, it almost appears as if there are more sail boats than people at the various marinas.

Distance markers are posted every mile and well-placed signs show the way, whenever there is doubt.



A very nice trail to cycle!


More photos below.......




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 1.166s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 56; dbt: 0.2991s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb