If You Visit Westport MA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Westport
August 30th 2013
Published: September 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

The Westport river drains a huge area of shallow water. The river itself is deep and the tide flows strongly in and out. So it would be dangerous to try to anchor here. A mooring from F.L. Tripp is the only choice. And very nice moorings they are too.

The entrance to the river, round a big rock called “The Knubble”, is quite tricky, with a shallow entrance channel that winds its way between rocks and sandbanks. So try to make sure that your first-time visit here is in good weather and preferably on a rising tide. The entrance buoys are moved from one year to the next to best warn about this year’s sandbanks. Several buoys are quite a long way from their positions on my (out of date) electronic chart.

If you have a powerful engine on your dinghy (or a very strong pair of arms) you can explore upriver for a couple of miles. I did this once and ran out of fuel on the way back. And had omitted to bring oars or a paddle! I grabbed hold of the nearest navigation buoy and waved until the launch came across to rescue me ... :-)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb