A trip into both US and MA history


Advertisement
Published: May 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Blogging from another platform since the blog I started (Travelpod) is going to be closed down.

Scouts is good for more than just the boys! Another scout mom and I went down to MA for a couple things. The first one was another Minuteman reenactment. Since the weather was expected to be lousy some events got moved around to the point of where we did more self guiding, but that was okay. Exploring at a much less rushed pace than the last time we visited.

It amazes me that buildings were made so sturdy hundreds of years ago so some parts of them still last today. I took a video of an original chimney/fireplace that was covered so things (people/weather/animals etc) wouldn't destroy it. You can still see some burnt wood in it.

Among the places visited was The Shot Heard Round the World. From what I understand, to this day nobody knows who fired that shot. There were maps of the area including what happened where along the Battle of the Road. We visited the beautiful Buttrick estate and actually walked down along where the Battle took place. I remember looking at that road from the side and thinking “The 1700's is within sight”. We saw where Paul Revere was captured and managed to get into the visitor's center. The last time we visited that there was so many people you really couldn't get in.

This time we stayed at a beautiful AirBNB in Salem which we hoped we'd be able to see more on the witch trials and museum but it turned out to not be an option. My first experience with an airBNB was great. It can be inexpensive and beautiful or it can be as expensive and lavish as you'd like. The awful weather we were expecting showed up overnight. My friend and I were as prepared as we could be, which turned out to be not really. The rain was sideways, coming in off the ocean. Shy of having body length rain gear, we weren't going to be protected. I've been watching videos of people who live in Alaska, northern Canada, Russia and the Arctic circle and how they deal with fishing so now I have a new found respect for those who are out on the ocean in all kinds of weather! Our touring was limited. Even if we'd done just
British soldiersBritish soldiersBritish soldiers

The first two British soldiers to die
a loop of museums, stores etc in downtown Salem, we still would have been soaked. We walked out to the waterfront, grey, rainy, windy and took a picture or two. In those few minutes, even with umbrellas, we were wet enough so it would up taking a couple hours to dry on our trip home. Our last visit was to the Rebecca Nurse homestead. Loved the tour of the Meeting House and her home. How people lived at that time. We also tried to find the markers of Giles Corey. We were in the right area for sure but shy of parking where there was no place to park and walking up to a small lookout, we weren't able to find them. At the time of our visit, the area lake was being dredged so for all we know, the markers had to be temporarily moved.

I was also able to get a picture describing some stick art. Last time I visited this I didn't think to write down who did those curious stick houses.

Next trip will be to the CT shoreline late June – early July.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

HarleysHarleys
Harleys

While at the park these Harley rides were taking a break. I asked one of them where they were riding to, was told the local Moose lodge in Bill Ricker. I feel very safe around Harley riders.
Battle of the RoadBattle of the Road
Battle of the Road

Walking down what was fought over in the 1700's
Paul ReverePaul Revere
Paul Revere

Was captured here


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb