Rockport: Oct 8/9/10


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Rockport
October 10th 2013
Published: October 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday:After a crack of dawn alarm (6.30am) we chucked any remaining 'stuff' into the cases, checked out and hailed a taxi. 7.30am saw us tucking into muffins on Penn Station - so much for yesterday's healthy eating. After the now customary scramble for seats we settled back for 4hrs 15mins train journey - plus 20 minutes as the train broke down, a la BR, outside Boston. We picked up a rental car in Boston and then, unsurprisingly, managed to take a wrong exit off Route 98 allowing us an unexpected view of the suburbs of Boston - c'est la vie.

After NYC Rockport was a shock - real sleepy, touristy town that is in the process of closing down for the winter. Our 'guest house' seems delightful, with a deck from our room overlooking the harbour. We wandered around the harbour - there's a distinct 'fall' chill in the air and sweaters are needed for the first time. We found a fish shack open and ate haddock & chips - best fish of the holiday so far!! The chap on the table next to us made a mess of eating lobsters - making us even more reluctant to 'have a go' ourselves. A glass of wine, courtesy of our hosts, and we were ready for loads of zzz's

Wednesday: After a wonderful night's kip, we pottered down to the harbour and enjoyed scrumptious pumpkin muffins & coffee for breakfast!! During the day we took in Gloucester (famous for its fisherman/women statues), Manchester (for a coffee at Dunkin' Dounuts) and then Salem (of witches fame). In Salem we opted for a tour of the House of Seven Gables (of Nathanial Hawthorne fame) rather than the 'witches' bus tour - good call!! In the evening we met up with Helen (Kate's 2nd cousin and daughter of Christine - the one we stayed with on Long Island). We had a tour of her cliff-top house and then we had a meal at a nearby restaurant - Kate was extremely brave and ate scallops!! We got lost on the way back - believe me following US road signage at night is not a piece of pumpkin pie!!

Thursday: Breakfast was cherry strudel and coffee on Bearskin Neck, Rockport. We decided on a pottering day, although we did drop some washing off at nearby Gloucester before getting underway. Firstly we did some clambering over rocks at Pigeon Cove - the guide book underestimates the mountaineering skills required and so we aborted the so-called walk before its end, thinking that a full set of climbing ropes might be useful. Further around the headland is the grandly named Hailibut Point State Park - this offered well trodden paths and views for us to enjoy in relative safety!! Finally, we took in the headland that overlooks the harbour and Bearskin Neck. Shattered, we picked our washing up, popped into a supermarket and picked up some snacky stuff for evening grub to eat in the comfort of our room.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb