Day 46: Lexington and Concord


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Lexington
August 20th 2011
Published: August 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Lexington belfryLexington belfryLexington belfry

Here they rang out the warning bell to say the Kng's troops were coming
We all enjoyed a lazy lie-in and I skyped home for a bit. I also helped Raju proof-read a review he's writing on the croosover between evolution and medicine, which was really interesting. Mid-morning Kamala, Yashu and I went to Costco to do the food shopping. This was a whole new American experience. It's a giant wholesale warehouse and on almost every aisle there are shop attendants handing out free food samples so we all ate plenty.

Back at the house I joked around with Yashu. He beat me at chess in 3minutes, we had a competition to see who could fly his electric helicopter best and I won, and then we span the swing to make ourselves dizzy and saw how far we could run without falling over. I wish I was 11 years old again!

In the afternoon we drove to look at a nearby forest and lake, where a famous author/thinker (who's name I now forget) lived for a year in a tiny wooden hut he built himself so he could get close to nature etc. We paddled for a bit and then drove on to Concord, a town just the other side of Lexington where various famous authors and philosophers lived, most notably Louisa May Alcott (Little Women), Ralph Waldo Emerson, and Henry David Thoreau. Our final stop on the historical tour was Minute Man National Park. This is the site start of the Revolutionary War/War of Independence in 1775 (after the Boston Tea Party etc). The initial skirmish happened in Lexington at sunrise, and then continue to Concord, so it is now known as the Battle of Lexington and Concord. However, Concord is more famous. It is here, on North Bridge, that American soldiers were first ordered to fire at the King's Men (who had been sent to seize a weapons stash at a nearby farm). Emerson's poem 'Concord Hymn' called it the 'shot heard round the world'.

We then drove back to Lexington for dinner at a local pizza place which was v yummy. It was Raju's birthday, so we secretly ordered him a slice of the best cake ever and all enjoyed that very much.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Louisa May Alcott's HouseLouisa May Alcott's House
Louisa May Alcott's House

Author of Little Women
Ralph Waldo Emerson's houseRalph Waldo Emerson's house
Ralph Waldo Emerson's house

Writer/philosopher
Grave of the British soldiersGrave of the British soldiers
Grave of the British soldiers

I actually found this suprisingly moving
North Bridge, Minute Man National ParkNorth Bridge, Minute Man National Park
North Bridge, Minute Man National Park

Here the main skirmish of the Battle of Lexington/Corncord happened (although the bridge is not the original)
Monument to Paul RevereMonument to Paul Revere
Monument to Paul Revere

He came in advance of the troops to warn the patriots


25th August 2011

Well done!
Well done! I was afraid you might not be able to keep this up. (Even this week, I was worried the last few days might fizzle out.) Congratulations!

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb