The Final Blog


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

8/5/09
The Final Blog -- Family
---
Today we made the final journey back home. More to come….
---
The remainder of Romania consisted of seeing the "real" Dracula Castle in Vidraru, Romania with a setting up in the Transylvania Alps foothills (see photo). We next visited the Black Sea, a summer spot for much of Romania and part of Europe.
---
Last stop was in Romania’s Capital, Bucharest. This is an amazing city. The previous ruler, Cecesceau, bulldozed huge sections of the city to build enormous structures of cement with very wide boulevards. Some buildings such as the Palatial Palace of Parliament (second largest building in the world) are impressive. Some buildings such as the housing show the stark grey remnants of communism. The city is littered with buildings that were half completed during the communist reign.
---
The trip home --- Airplane food tasted great. We loved the air-conditioned comfort. The background buzz of noise was finally understandable (English). Our 5pm departure arrived 11 hours later at 9pm, leaving us with jet lag to be waking up at 5am in Boston. We did fly over Bangor and our home at the very end, yet won’t be seeing our house up close for another two weeks. We look forward to seeing everyone soon.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

BucharestBucharest
Bucharest

A mix of modern and old architecture is demonstrated by the merged building on the right.
BucharestBucharest
Bucharest

More old architecture combined with modern and a sprinkle of communist buildings.
BucharestBucharest
Bucharest

Older "streets" of Bucharest, some with out pavement.
Airplane foodAirplane food
Airplane food

It tasted FANTASTIC, really.
Return homeReturn home
Return home

Wide awake at 9pm Boston time (5am Romanian time).


Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb