Crabs, clams and turtles...


Advertisement
Published: May 13th 2015
Edit Blog Post

May the bloody 13th. Fifty is such a ridiculous age and clearly nothing to do with me. Thank you all for your happy birthday wishes anyway. Spent yesterday and overnight on Cape Cod which is very pretty, all weatherboarded houses and beautiful beaches. They seem not to develop their beaches in the same way we do.... Not a kiss me quick hat or slot machine in sight... Just miles of dunes and sandy beaches. We walked across the salt marshes and along the beach for about a mile. Spencer contemplated a swim until he saw the shallows were inundated by the weirdest crab things ever.... Horse shoe crabs apparently, about a foot long and definitely prehistoric!! You'll have to google if you want to see them as, yes, you guessed it, no camera!!! We had lunch at a great place on Hyannis Marina called Spanky's Clam Shack. As if the name wasn't enough of a draw, the seafood was amazing. If you ever find yourself in Spanky's, I highly recommend the Wicked Seafood Stew. Our overnight stop was on a very nice campsite in Brewster, big spread out pitches and hardly anyone else in sight. As we left this morning, right in the middle of the campsite drive was a huge turtle! We couldn't get past and I contemplated moving it but, to be honest, it was a bit mean looking. I left Spencer in the RV and went back to the office to ask advice, feeling like a slightly stupid, urban ignoramus. Not at all!! Apparently it was a snapping turtle, a vicious bugger and we should wait while they sent help. This arrived in the form of one of the golf buggy trucks they use to whizz around the campsites, driven by a chap armed with a thick pair of gloves. The turtle put up quite a fight, but they managed to get it in the back of the buggy for relocation to the lake. Crazy! Today we are pushing North of Boston to a campsite in Salisbury from where we will hopefully find a whale watching trip before moving into New Hampshire.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.299s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb