A Late Start Means a Late Finish


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Boston
August 1st 2014
Published: August 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hotel Room ViewHotel Room ViewHotel Room View

Not a bad view to wake-up to although the weather isn't all that.
Well any blog entry for today isn't going to be a exciting, thrills-packed insight into the wonders of New England history as we spent all of it traveling. That said, the flight wasn't until 6.00pm (plus a forty minute delay), so most of the day was at home.

We allowed loads of time for the inevitable delays on the M25 and it didn't disappoint, with the usual snails-pace crawl round to Heathrow. Along with the usual moody drivers, there's now someone on all the Heathrow car-park buses to help with your bags. He actually refused a tip when we offered one, as they're not allowed to accept any. It'll be the last time that that happens for a while given that we're heading to the States and we'll have to get back in the habit of tipping anyone and everyone again.

Despite the M25 and thanks to our delay, we had loads of time in the airport. I'll have my usual moan about the shops in Terminal Five. Gucci, Harrods, Kurt Geiger, Prada, Mulberry and whatever else; they are obviously not expecting may of us 'ordinary' people to be flying through there.

The Americans on the flight were very disappointing as they didn't let out their normal cheer when the plane landed. Immigration didn't disappoint however as there was the usual snaking queue, whilst most of the counter positions were closed. We were pleasantly surprised however as it did seem to move very quickly so it took less than an hour. My wife's last experience of US Immigration had been three and a half hours, so she was still very bitter and twisted about that and seemed almost disappointed that it didn't take so long this time.

Once we'd picked up our car, it was a bit of an adventure finding the hotel. First of all the main freeway into Boston was completely underground meaning the satnav, on which we were completely dependent, was worse than useless. Then above ground everyone was out enjoying Friday night, so we had to try and concentrate on where we were going whilst avoiding all the party-goers.

Our hotel room is on the 21st floor, but the views can wait until tomorrow given that it was 4.00am UK time by the time we arrived. I guess that's the problem with a sociable departure time for the flight; it means that you're seriously late arriving and exhausted.

We needed a roll-up delivered to our room, which of course meant the first of many tips, although he did actually seem a bit surprised to get one. Hopefully we'll get the hang of it by the time we come to leave.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb