So much to say - Part 2...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Boston
April 15th 2005
Published: April 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We didn´t have any accommodation booked for the following night, so we played (drove ?) it by ear and ended up in Oatman. Another ´ghost´town, although this one was still inhabited, by a number of locals making a living out of the fact that Clarke Gable stayed there on his honeymoon night, the noon ´gun fight´and the wild donkeys (burro´s) who come and go as they please.

Went to Lake Hasavu City, notably only for its fake lake and London Bridge. Gill once again used her persuasion skills and got us into our Las Vegas (Nevada) hotel a night early....

What is there to say about Vegas - any of you who have been there, will understand how bizarre it really is. Everything is fake, from the Eiffel Tower to the Venetian Canals, to the over the top ´show´at Treasure Island, to the real penguins and flamingos inside The Flamingo. The Bellagio buffet was a real highlight (thanks, Rob). After eating too much, we wandered around, watching what people with too much money to do with it, private pool areas, designer shops.... We ended up in the Venetian (complete with fake internal sky, canals and singing gondoliers) for a couple of cocktails (afterall it was 2 for 1 happy hour - got to think about the budget). After a couple of Long Island Iced Teas, Gill managed to get us a free magic show (Mr & Mrs D, your daughter has amazing talents and I´m sure the entire Daly Clan will appreciate your present.... ) - mostly because she is quite amusing with a few drinks in her!!!

The following night we went up to Freemont Street to watch the light show. Our last night with Chuck resulted in a parking ticket (and yet again Gill worked her magic and we got off with it). After getting to the top of the Stratosphere, we decided against doing any of the rides which hang off the outside - although we were highly entertained by the faces of everyone who was brave (stupid?) enough to try it....

After a long drive and a brief visit to Santa Monica pier, we returned Chuck to his rightful home, but were ushered so quickly through that there was no time for tearful goodbyes, after 5500 miles and almost 7 weeks together....



Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1020.7kb