The Return Home: Some Final Details on the trip


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Boston
November 29th 2010
Published: December 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

My bread krathong before I did anything to itMy bread krathong before I did anything to itMy bread krathong before I did anything to it

This was what my krathong looked like before I turned it into Frankenstein in Chiang Mai. I decided to buy one instead.
Travel Days 77-82...1/2

After 82 and a half days on the road, I finally arrived in my Boston apartment on last Saturday evening after returning to the United States a week ago and spending the Thanksgiving holiday on Long Island in Montauk. This was after over 24 hours of flight and layover time with a 6 hour stop in Beijing on the way back. I will leave you with some photos from air travel and my time in Long Island. I will be taking a break from the blog until my next trip. I am thinking about an Africa trip in January of 2011 and maybe Europe as well. I might visit Austin, Texas for a few days this month as well. If I do, the blog will be renewed.

If you want to be notified about my latest blog you can subscribe to my blog at the entrance menu of the blog. Just click on the "subscribe" box under my picture. Better than that, if you want to leave a message on any of my blogs click on "private message" and let me know what you think. The best would be if you click on the "recommend" box
Beijing airportBeijing airportBeijing airport

There was no one in the airport in Beijing on my six hour layover but everything was nice and new in preparation for the Asia Games which were taking place there. I had good fortune to have a Chinese SIM card so I could talk with my friend in town while I was waiting. Wish I could have gone to visit her.
for my blog. That will get the attention of the site creators. Thanks for reading!!

Total Days of Travel: 82 and-a-half days
Total Days in the United States: 29 days
Total Days outside the United States: 42 days
Total Days in Australia: 15 days
Total Days in Indonesia: 11 days
Total Days in Thailand: 15 days
Total Days in Between (long layovers in New Zealand and China): about 1/2 day
Total Countries Visited: 4 With Airports: 6
Total Miles by Rail: approximately 500 miles (about $75.00..........$0.07 per mile)
Total Miles by Bus: over 6000 miles (about $360.00...........$0.06 per mile)
Total Miles by Air: approximately 36,000 miles (about $3700.00........$0.10 per mile)
Other Transport (taxis, borrowed cars, subways, scooters, small vans etc.): several hundred miles ($200.....expensive)
Total Miles for the trip: 42,000 miles ($4400.00.................$0.11 per mile)
Total Transportation Costs: About $4400.00 (bad planning on my part)
Total Cost for Lodging: Approximately $650 (I stayed with friends a lot)
Costs for food, gifts, entertainment, etc.: Much more than lodging costs
Cost per day: About $85.00 per day (I budgeted poorly....next trip I would like to get away with $50 -$60 per day or less depending on where I am going)
General Mood during the trip: Tired but Excited

Technically I did not circumnavigate the globe (on the map) as I went from Boston to Bangkok and the returned the same way by way of Beijing to New York rather than going over Europe. However, (in terms of miles and distance) I just managed to surpass the 40,000 + miles that complete the journey along the equator. This blog will continue travels around the world but on other trips.

Enjoy the photos from the end of the trip!






Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

A Coast Guard Escort on our Ferry Ride HomeA Coast Guard Escort on our Ferry Ride Home
A Coast Guard Escort on our Ferry Ride Home

On our Ferry ride from Montauk to New London Connecticut the seas were quite rough and it felt like we might tip over at one point. After it calmed down, two Coast Guard boats pulled up alongside us and escorted us in........excitement on a ferry ride.....a first for me since I was a child!!
The Travel Beard is goneThe Travel Beard is gone
The Travel Beard is gone

First full day back to Boston and the beard has come off!


25th December 2010
A Coast Guard Escort on our Ferry Ride Home

A similair trip
I took a trip fro Montauk to Block Island last Fall. So sea sick and very intense. Pat
26th December 2010

Rough Seas
I guess it either sucks (due to seasickness) or is exhilerating and fun (my case) on what is normally a pretty mundane trip. At least it isn't boring!!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb