Finding a house


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Boston
December 25th 2005
Published: December 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Keeping up the healthy lifestyleKeeping up the healthy lifestyleKeeping up the healthy lifestyle

Stopped into the Cheesecake Factory for a light snack after shopping.
Hi folks,

Sorry about the lack of updates, we have been really busy getting ourselves sorted…

Sharon spent the first couple of weeks in December Apartment hunting on the web. We were hoping for a 2 bed place somewhere close to town for about a $1000, this turned out to be an impossible dream… The cost of housing here is really steep.. So having viewed a couple of 2 bed’s in our price range and seeing they were complete dives and spoken to a real estate agent we realized that for the money we were willing to spend we were only going to get a 1 bed place.. So Sharon set up viewings for 5 apts over 2 days which was pretty tiring but that’s how we ended up with the place we’re in now. It's really nice as you can see from the pic's and the heating is so good it's like a sauna for most of the time so even though its averaging -10 deg C outside we keep opening windows!

We live in an area called Allston about 30 mins away from city centre (quicker when not rush hour). It's right next to the intersection
Where did i leave my donut?Where did i leave my donut?Where did i leave my donut?

Callum does a brief spell of work between donuts
of two of the main roads, Commonwealth Ave and Harvard Ave where all the shops and pubs are and the green B line runs along the length of Comm Ave right into the centre. For all you ski and snowboarding fans who will be coming to visit you’ll be pleased to know there are 2 or 3 big ski shops right round the corner.

We had Callums work's Christmas do on the 20th in a nice restaurant on Harvard Square called "Upstairs On The Square" The decor was a bit weird - lots of zebra prints and pink paint. There was even a zebra on top of the Christmas tree instead of a fairy! The food was really good and Callum's new boss paid for everything which is always a bonus.

Bought a real tree for Christmas (they call it a Holiday Tree over here so as not to offend people of different religious beliefs apparantly) but can't find any tinsel to decorate it with or any Christmas crackers. Candy canes will have to do!

Giminna from Callums work invited us to her house for a meal on Christmas Eve which was a good chance to make
Cal n ShazCal n ShazCal n Shaz

Us at the christmas tree on Cals works night out
some new friends and eat some new foods. Everyone had to take a traditional dish from their home country. It was a bit too short notice to go out haggis hunting so we took a good old home made banoffi pie instead. There was quite a spread - singapore whole chilli crabs, sushi, smoked salmon, dim sum and salted chicken.

Well that's all our news up to today - Christmas Day - got lots of sweet eating, wine drinking and movie watching to do so Merry Christmas to all of you, hope you have lots of fun and have a great new year too!!!!





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Fang, Giminna and CalFang, Giminna and Cal
Fang, Giminna and Cal

Callum and colleagues at works Christmas night out
oor kitchenoor kitchen
oor kitchen

we share our kitchen with a little mouse that lives under the cupboard
oor bedroomoor bedroom
oor bedroom

thought we'd brighten the place up with a colourful bedspread
oor living roomoor living room
oor living room

this is the comfy sofa bed you guys will be sleeping on when you come to visit
oor tinsel-less Christmas treeoor tinsel-less Christmas tree
oor tinsel-less Christmas tree

Lots of windows and open plan layout make the flat bright and homely
oor loooor loo
oor loo

Prob the most basic of all the rooms but everything works and the bath is nice and deep
Time for cake........againTime for cake........again
Time for cake........again

Pudding time at the Christmas Eve party at Giminna's in North Quincy
Group photo on Christmas EveGroup photo on Christmas Eve
Group photo on Christmas Eve

Everyone together at party.......1,2,3 cheeeeeese!
Tipsy on the TTipsy on the T
Tipsy on the T

Going home after party at 12.05am on Christmas Day - Merry Christmas!!!!


29th December 2005

Merry Xmas
Well Merry Xmas to you both. Hope that everything is cool - I'm quite pissed just now - I have just spoken to you on Skpyee thingy - thats cool. Have a good new year - hogmany will be a tad different!
9th January 2006

Happy New Year
All the best for 2006. Sounds like you're settling into life in the States. Hope all is well!

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0641s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb