bye bye Canada Hello USA


Advertisement
Published: June 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We are in Toronto for the next 3 days to explore the city and most importantly celebrate my birthday, Toronto's been a pretty cool place its a really big city and has a real buzz around it everyone's running around and busy I like it. For my birthday I woke up to cards and presents that Grant had kept hidden in his bag this whole time, a card from my mum & dad and one from my Nan & granddad with a bottle of perfume, Grant got me a voucher for my kindle which will be a life saver and tickets to see the bluejay baseball team in Toronto. Also my mum and dad gave me some money which I'm going to put towards getting an ipad which I'm very excited about woop woop although a little scared too as my track record of breaking and losing things has been pretty high on this trip.We spent the morning of my birthday going to the CN tower, which was good but a bit weird, it was a bit of an overcast day the views weren't amazing but still pretty cool, there was a glass floor at the top, we both discovered were not really afraid of heights haha, after u go to the top of the tower they bring u back down to the bottom for some rides and show, I was quite excited about this till i saw the rides and show and it got weird , first it was a 3D movie about a type of airplane and how to build one ? and the ride was a really crappy simulator about being a tree the only up side being grant got sprayed in the crouch by loads of water hahaha . That night we headed for the baseball game, this is the first baseball game for the both of us so we where really looking forward to it. We got to the stadium early and grabbed some hotdogs and headed in for a walk around its amazing inside we walked all the way around the stadium there where beer and food stalls everywhere and we walked past the box where they do the TV commentary and they had some cake on the side so I managed to blag my self some bday cake , dont think grant could quite believe it that i walked up to someone thats probably famous over here and asked for cake haha but it was chocolate ice cream cake!!we grabbed some beers and headed for our seats, the game was really good after we figured out the rules and I really enjoyed it would defiantly go see one again and the bluejays are now my team so all in all a really good day.


The day after the Bluejays game we headed up to Montreal, which is a French speaking part of Canada, we got there by train which so far is the first train we have taken and omg it so beats the greyhound, leg room, toilets, food trolleys, no weird people, life of luxury. It was a really long train ride to Montreal and I think I fell asleep 10 minutes in and only woke up when me and grant headbutted each other ( he was also asleep) and then carried on sleeping till we arrived so I cant say to much about the scenery. We spent 3 days in Montreal and its really strange to be in a north American country and have everyone speak french, here it's the primary language and English is secondary so everyone starts speaking to you in french and then switched to English as soon as they realize your a tourist. we spend our time in Montreal mostly exploring the different districts, the old town is very pretty and very french it looks a lot like Paris cobbled streets and cute shops and even has its own Notre dame, we went to china town, gay town and a Latin town and even saw two drug deals and a police arrest all in the space of about a minute. Its really arty here their is lots of contemporary street art, most of it went over our heads a bit, at one point we walked past a square full of people with sausage dogs? all just gathered in a sport and saw a load of people talking in to plastic cups surrounded by empty bottles, weird right! Montreal's a nice city but I just didn't love it, I think were both a bit citied out and the weather was rubbish as it rained most of the time we where there. Montreal's are last stop in Canada so from here we are heading to Boston. Canada's been an amazing country and have both loved exploring it, I think we will defiantly come back and work in Vancouver fora year or two just for the lifestyle alone.



Boston is amazing, I love it !! one of, I think both of out fav places so far, I take everythink back about being tired of cities. Our hostel in boston is beond amazing in pure luxury and really makes me think we have stayed in a few shitholes. It's really moden and clean also its in a really good location and the room sizes are really good normally I can barely fit my bag in most of the hostel rooms we have stayed in. Our first full day in boston we headed for the freedom trail it's a route marked out in red on the pavement and takes you all over the city to some of the most historic places in the city most of it is relating to American independace. It was a really cool tour we did it ourselfs by following the map, The freedom trail was really good although it rained all day there is so much history in boston and a lot of it was relating to the British so it did get a bit weird at points eg heres where the british murdered a load of people, here is where the British turned a church in to a horse stable and pub. The trail ended at the bunker hill monmument
which is for the battle fourght there between the british and the Americans (we won) it was 296 steps to the top and after walking miles around the city before hand it killed me , grant was fine not even out of breath but im glad i did it. On our second day in boston we headed in the direction of all the shops walking up the street we saw a square dedicated to the boston bombing that had taken place only a month before hand, runners had left their trainers tied to railings with messages, cards, teddies and flowers, lots of the shops along the street had 'boston strong'
in their windows and any damage that had been done to the shops had been replaced. As we where having a look around the shops a bit further up we heard the loudest truck horn, we went out in the street and coming down the road where truck after truck all with American flags
blowing their horns there must have been about 50 or 60 of them it was crazy the whole street was at a stand still. While we where in boston it was memorial weekend and in the main common their where flags for everyone from the state that was killed in civil war made a pretty cool picture. Bostons been so much fun iv really enjoyed it, Its a very pretty place and so different from anywhere we've been so far. After boston we headed in to the country for a few days so till then xoxo


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 27


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0651s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb