Maine in the Rain


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine
July 8th 2009
Published: July 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Pemaquid LighthousePemaquid LighthousePemaquid Lighthouse

Pemaquid Pt, ME
Tuesday, 7 July
We continued to follow US 1 north. At Damariscotta we took 130 south to Pemaquid Point andthe Pemaquid Lighthouse. It was a fairly long drive down there and back, so I decided no more really out of the way lighthouses. The Pemaquid Light was really pretty, but the day is cold, overcast and blustery with intermittant showers. Yesterday's blue ocean is gray and rough today.

At Rockland we cut down 73 to Owls Head and the lighthouse there. It's a smaller lighthouse than the others we've seen, but the views from the light are gorgeous. We crossed the Penobscot River over a really neat looking bridge, then east to Ellsworth, where we stopped for a few groceries. We're staying 3 nights on Mt. Desert Island at a campground on Hadley Point. We managed to get the camper set up between rain showers, but by the time we finished supper, it was raining steadily.

Wednesday, 8 July
Still drizzly this morning as we headed for the Schoodic Peninsula portion of Acadia National Park. What a beautiful place, with the usual forests, but with rocky shorelines and fantastic views. The ocean was still gray and the waves breaking
Ethan at the topEthan at the topEthan at the top

In Pemaquid Lighthouse
on the rocks threw up great spumes of water. Kerry and Ethan had a ball climbing on the rocks and exploring tidal pools.

Back on Mt. Desert Island, we decided to drive a tour of the western portion of the island. We drove past Pretty Marsh, Seal Cove, and the towns of Tremont, Bernard and Bass Harbor. We stopped at the Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse then went back to Bernard and ate lobster rolls at Thurston's. Ethan had his first taste of lobster and seem to take to it quite well. From there we went to Seawall Picnic area and, since the tide was out, Kerry and Ethan poked around a little more in the tidal pools.

The skies are starting to lighten, the rain has mostly stopped, and tomorrow is supposed to be a prettier day. Let's hope so.

A few thoughts on US 1, or Coastal 1, as they call it here. In the southern portion of Maine, it is quite congested, but the traffic thins out as you head north, except in resort areas. It is extremely rough in spots, cracked and potholed. Kerry was exhausted by the end of the day, partly because speed limits change frequently, it was a job avoiding the rough spots, and these people drive crazy.





Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Bridge over the NarrowsBridge over the Narrows
Bridge over the Narrows

Over Penobscot River
Schoodic PeninsulaSchoodic Peninsula
Schoodic Peninsula

Acadia National Park
Schoodic PeninsulaSchoodic Peninsula
Schoodic Peninsula

Acadia National Park
Bass Harbor Head LightBass Harbor Head Light
Bass Harbor Head Light

Bass Harbor, ME
Bass HarborBass Harbor
Bass Harbor

Boats and Lobster traps


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb