Fall in Maine


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine
December 8th 2006
Published: January 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

BROOKLIN, MAINEBROOKLIN, MAINEBROOKLIN, MAINE

the annual schooner "sail-in" at the Wooden Boat School. This is the Victory Chimes, one of about 15 schooners in the area that day.
We’ve been asked by many of you to keep you abreast of our activities during our year away from Andover and we will do our best to bring you along on our fall days in downeast Maine, then on our journey across the U.S. to winter in Tucson and back again.

It’s all about time. Our sabbatical officially started in September, and we delighted in making new use of the customary school days by visiting parts of Maine and New England we'd never had time to before: Camden (for a Maine Fare food festival), Monhegan (a spectacular coastal Maine island), Searsport (Penobscot Maritime Museum), Brooklin (annual schooner “sail-in” at the Wooden Boat School), Roque Bluffs (beautiful sand beach in downeast Maine), and the Kangamangas Trail (across New Hampshire). With the extra time we also worked on many projects around the house: refinishing a table for Heidi & Andy, building a stained glass window and frame for their wedding present, harvesting and canning vegetables from our gardens, playing golf and biking. We volunteered at a music festival that featured Livingston Taylor, Jonathon Edwards, Tom Rush, the Soul Sensations and Schooner Fare. We attended the annual belt sander races in Town Hill, took in a community theater play in Winter Harbor, attended a wonderful Peter, Paul & Mary concert in Salem, MA (thanks to Anne Ferguson!) and saw the Capitol Steps live in Ellsworth. Almost all of these activities also included good times spent with Maine friends whom we usually see only in the summer. What a treat!

Andy spent considerable time visiting math classes at the local middle school and participated on the visiting committee at Bridgton Academy as part of their re-accreditation process. Jennie took on several projects, attended an art class, and rekindled her passion for knitting, learning how to knit socks using a pretty slick technique or 2 socks on 2 circular needles.

Thanksgiving with Heidi and Andy in State College, PA was fantastic! We even had the chance to stay for an extra week of visiting and home improvement projects. Andy (Wall) was in the midst of his busiest time at school and received a big thumbs up from his Penn State geology professors on a major presentation and his doctoral candidacy.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

MONHEGAN COASTMONHEGAN COAST
MONHEGAN COAST

photos this size just do not do justice to the power and beauty of this island coastline
MONHEGAN MONHEGAN
MONHEGAN

so quaint and photogenic
MONHEGAN FOGMONHEGAN FOG
MONHEGAN FOG

after a spectacular 70° September day for our arrival, the Maine fog rolled in the next morning
MDI MARATHON BANNERMDI MARATHON BANNER
MDI MARATHON BANNER

the proceeds from the sale of this banner went to aid the art programs on MDI
BELT SANDER RACESBELT SANDER RACES
BELT SANDER RACES

another lively annual fall event we'd never experienced before
PUMPKINS IN WESTERN MASS.PUMPKINS IN WESTERN MASS.
PUMPKINS IN WESTERN MASS.

on our way to visit Kevin in October
REFINISHED TABLEREFINISHED TABLE
REFINISHED TABLE

fall project involved refinishing a table made by Andy's grandfather
STAINED GLASS WINDOWSTAINED GLASS WINDOW
STAINED GLASS WINDOW

another fall project -- wedding present for Heidi & Andy
WHILE THEY WERE OUTWHILE THEY WERE OUT
WHILE THEY WERE OUT

While at Heidi & Andy's we transformed their kitchen


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb