Maine


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine
September 28th 2022
Published: September 29th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday 28th :

We decided to ride to Jackman Maine which is very close to the Canadian border, to get to the end of the old BDR route.


Leaving Eustis/Stratton, we headed North on what was the original last section of the NEBDR. We got onto a gravel road around 20 miles out of town which once again was a fun ride with a backdrop of stunning fall colours. A whole tourist industry is built around this seasonal vista. The Motelier has told us that their busy season is just starting. Apparently, tourists come from far and wide to witness and photograph this amazing natural phenomenon...we could see why as we rode through the forest.


The road meandered through the forest with expansive views through the valleys to the mountains all cloaked with amazing reds, yellows, greens and browns. Eventually after some 30 miles on this road we turned off onto a lesser track which our GPSs told us was only 25 miles to Jackman.


Following this route, we ended up in a tiny settlement called Old Mill… we think. Half a dozen houses and an airstrip. The road suddenly disintegrated into a rough track with many puddles – some deep, mud ruts and overhanging trees. We worked out even if our GPSs told us to continue it was a no go, so we backtracked. Back out on the same road, we were again riding through some coloured scenery that was amazing.


Gradually as we retraced our route Keith was aware that his bike's battery was failing. Arriving into Stratton only 1 mile from our digs, Keith’s bike stopped all-together. After a roadside workshop, Ian towed Keith the last 1 mile back to our digs.
We jury fitted Bryan's wrong size spare battery that he had been carrying, to Keith's bike. Hopefully problem solved until we get to Ronnie's Motorcycles in Albany New York where we can get the right size battery fitted.

We walked down the road (around 2 kms) to a local country store with the by-line "Good Maine Stuff" and had some late lunch.One thing that I hadn't mentioned in yesterday's blog is the "benefits “of my new rear tyre which had got me much further up the bank than the old one could have with half the knobs missing !


Returning to our motel we had a lazy afternoon doing very little. Bryan has been using a small video camera mounted on his headlight shroud which produces some good footage. Bryan got the idea of uploading some of his videos to you tube which he has done, and you can see some good coverage of some trails at the following links: (on the 2nd one you will see my bike up a bank …probably judging by the $ we are spending looking for an ATM!


https://youmtu.be/PS6PDRkvNQI
Also
">



Tomorrow heading south towards Albany NY. Today only around 100 miles.

We have done 5600 miles and by the time we reach Albany New York, will have clicked over 6000 miles or 10,000kms.Congratulations to my riding companions and myself for completing the ride. Yet to get to New York but so far, no punctures or issues we couldn’t handle & we are still talking to each other.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Check the colours Check the colours
Check the colours
Ian & coloursIan & colours
Ian & colours
Ian & KaleidoscopeIan & Kaleidoscope
Ian & Kaleidoscope
Keith & coloursKeith & colours
Keith & colours
Keith & IanKeith & Ian
Keith & Ian
Keith darkening the vistaKeith darkening the vista
Keith darkening the vista
Keith trys to avoid cameraKeith trys to avoid camera
Keith trys to avoid camera
Maine Fall ColoursMaine Fall Colours
Maine Fall Colours


29th September 2022

Maine Colours
Great read of the entire trip ! Final leg to complete but fabulous-thanks for sharing
29th September 2022

Photos
The photos with those photos are stunning. Well done to you all for what you’ve done so far. New York, here you come!
29th September 2022

Congrats!
Well done on completing the ride guys! Thanks also for the blog and photos Mike.

Tot: 0.306s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 10; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1163s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb