Shakers and Maine lobster


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine » York
October 15th 2016
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Tower SpaTower SpaTower Spa

It looked that the hotel's tower would afford great views of the White Mountains. It is however, an active spa so not possible to drop in and visit. We knocked on the door early next morning and went up, not thinking that it would be glassed-in, and therefore not so good for photos.
Geo: 43.2206, -70.5778

Another great presentation from a naturalist this morning, followed by a pretty drive to Canterbury Village, NH - one of 16 "Shaker" locations in the US. Temperature was a chilly -6 deg which put the icing on the foliage colours.

Along the way we disembarked to walk a short hiking trail to "The Basin", an unusual rock feature in a stream bed. And went past the "Old Man of the Mountain" a New Hampshire treasure, until he met his demise.

Then on to The Cliff House, our final hotel at Ogunquit on the coast of Maine. They've saved the best for last, including farewell cocktails and a sumptuous lobster dinner.

The tour has been terrific and I was very pleased with the fall colours. Off now to Waterford CT to stay with a couple we met briefly in Ecuador last year.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Old Man of the MountainOld Man of the Mountain
Old Man of the Mountain

A large, rocky outcrop near the summit of this hill closely resembled the 50ft high profile of a man's face. It became a famous landmark of New Hampshire and the outline was widely used on state road signs and promotional material. Since the mid-19th century it was known that the rocks were unstable and many attempts have been made to anchor them. Alas, eight years ago gravity won and the outcrop gave way and smashed into pieces. It's demise was mourned in NH, but our guide irreverently now calls him "Cliff".
The BasinThe Basin
The Basin

The foliage colour was great on this walk and the breeze blew down leaves by the thousand. A golden rain that was just lovely.
Canterbury VillageCanterbury Village
Canterbury Village

The Shakers are an obscure Christian sect that was founded in the mid-1700s by Mother Ann Lee. She was British who came to America to seek a new way of living, based on worship through vigorous dancing and complete celibacy for men and women. The sect thrived until the early 1900s and the six who came over with Ann Lee grew into 6,000. Converts and orphan children swelled their numbers. Now apparently only three Shakers, all aged in their 90s, remain. The Shakers were known for the high quality of their craftsmanship, including wooden furniture.
Red MapleRed Maple
Red Maple

There was a vintage car exhibition on at the Shaker Village and this old car passed just as I was photographing a sensational tree.
Cliff HouseCliff House
Cliff House

Opened only several weeks ago after extensive renovations, the Cliff House was excellent. For the first time, the new owners plan to keep the hotel open through the winter, a big call as the trade is very seasonal.
Maine LobsterMaine Lobster
Maine Lobster

Our final dinner included unlimited drinks and a prime-rib and lobster dinner. Maine supplies 90% of lobsters to the US and here the food is relatively cheap. Our guide advised that they had a bumper season a few years ago and lobster was selling for $2.99 /lb. it was very good and the wait staff came over and got the meat out for you. I was inveigled to drink Manhattans all night and suffered for it the next day.


17th October 2016

The colour is fantastic...
17th October 2016

I think you would need a large hammer to open the crays - luckily you have been given a bib each
19th October 2016

First comment was wow what magnificent colour, and what a jag getting the beaut ole vehicle beautifully positioned.
19th October 2016

Jealous about this little "snack" you had. What a treat! Salivating at the thought
20th October 2016

Definitely a photo for display! :)

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0169s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb