Maine


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine » Bangor
July 27th 2016
Published: August 21st 2016
Edit Blog Post

We stayed in a park about 2 miles outside of Bangor called Pumpkin Patch RV Resort. Had really poor cell and Wi-Fi service so that is why I got so far behind my blog posts. It was probably some procrastination on my part also; I seem to have motivation problems in retirement.

We went to Fort Knox and the Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory. The observatory is 420 feet and 42 stories and the tallest occupied structure in Maine. The observatory had an elevator to take us up to almost the top. I then had to climb about 20 steps but they had a lift that took Bonnie up the rest of the way. The view from up top was amazing of the river, bridge, bay, countryside and Fort Knox. After coming down from the bridge we drove over to Fort Knox where I hiked down to the fort and then climbed about 60 steps to get to the top of the fort. The fort was made of granite with walls about 2 feet thick in 1844 and 1864. The fort was never completed and has not been modified since the original build. The fort never saw combat but was garrisoned during the Civil and Spanish-American Wars. We then drove across the bridge to have lunch in Bucksport.

Our next adventure took us to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. We took the Acadian Sightseeing Cruise from Bar Harbor. We saw a bald eagle up close and when the guide threw a fish in the water the eagle dived for the fish. It was amazing. We also saw harbor porpoise, lots of seals, beautiful scenery, amazing mansions and Egg Rock Lighthouse. It was an amazing tour and priced great at $23 each. After the cruise we drove through part of Acadia Park that had some beautiful scenery pull outs. It was a Saturday so it was really busy. The road is two lanes one way but most of the time the right lane was full of parked cars from all the hikers. It was especially busy at the trail down to a beach. Not sure how big the beach was but by the number of people and cars I think it was standing room only once they got down there. We finally exited the park and found our way back to the RV Park.

Next we are off to visit our neighbors to the north.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb