This could only happen to us!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » Crowley
December 6th 2009
Published: July 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 30.2106, -92.3722

Happy Holidays from the American Legion Hospital in Crowley, Louisiana,

Yes, just when you think things couldn't get any worse, of course, you're wrong!!! Dave was admitted to the hospital yesterday after two weeks of being sick, a visit to urgent care 10 days ago, tons of tests, scans, blood work and then the doctor said "I'm baffled" (No shit, his words exactly). I wanted to say "Don't be. Just look for the one thing you wouldn't think it is cuz nothing about us is normal". Even though he still has bronchitis/pneumonia (depending on which doctor is there), that's not what was causing his problem (low oxygenation of his blood). The third one finally nailed it down (cross your fingers) to an encapsulated infection between his lung and rib cage. He seems to be a little better this morning since he's starting to be bitchy - he hates hospitals (who the hell doesn't). It looks like he will be in here for a couple more days so they can pump mega doses of antibiotics into him and then hopefully we can hit the road again. Of course, at this rate, we might make it back by Superbowl but I'm not holding my breath. Lessons learned: 1. If you're going to stop and be hospitalized, make sure it's in a town with a taxi that runs on weekends or at least get off your ass and learn to ride the bike. 2. Small town hospitality and caring are alive and well. The motel handy man took me to the hospital and his wife picked me up. 3. Don't count on having someones shoulder to cry on when your lonely and scared (especially when they don't call back). Put your big girl panties on, move on and deal with it. 4. It's official. The weather black cloud is following us. It snowed here (2 inches) for only the second time in 100 years! 5. Not new News: The road crew for our pot holes has been kidnapped by the Taliban (and no ransom demand as of yet).

Another funny tidbit that might amuse a few. We headed over to the New Orleans Mission two days before Thanksgiving to start doing some volunteer work and were turned away. They weren't going to be open on Thanksgiving (I guess all the homeless go home for Turkey Day). We even offered to work before or after doing anything they needed done (I even said cleaning the toilets) and no go but they did have a bed for us since we were homeless. It's pretty bad when even the homeless don't want your help and you can't give your services away. We left there shaking our heads and wondering what the hell we were going to do with ourselves on Turkey Day. Ended up at Coyote Ugly and they invited us to spend it with them (spent it at another bar closer to camp). Nice people and the bartender even grabbed my boob (made me smile). 1. New Orleans is a stranger town than even Vegas. Everyone seems to wear a beret and the homeless don't need help.

http://oscarswildadventure.smugmug.com/Travel/Update-11/10556975_q5BYB/1/733272983_J8yp8



Keep laughing and loving and be on the look out for our kidnapped road crew!

Love

Debbie

PS: If any of you get a wild hair up your butt, call Dave in the hospital (he has his cell 951-333-1173) and tell him to get his lazy ass up. I'm ready to hit the road again.....just kidding about the lazy ass.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb