Day Eighteen- July 1, 2010 Tampa to Montreal Tour


Advertisement
Published: July 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

A beautiful day for a drive to tour the countryside of Kentucky and Indiana. We head off for the resort town of French Lick. First we hop aboard the tourist railroad and see the scenery. Then off to the grand hotels.

The area called French Lick, Indiana, site of the French Lick Springs Resort and one of the earliest outposts in the middle - Western wilderness, was first settled more than 200 years ago by French traders.

After the discovery of rich mineral springs, which attracted animals that flocked to lick the waters and wet rocks, this valley became known among the settlers as “The Lick”.


A rich colorful history included such famous names as John Barrymore, Clark Gable, Bing Crosby, President Roosevelt, the Truman’s, the Reagan’s and Joe and Rose Kennedy. It was there in 1931 that Franklin Roosevelt rounded up support at a Democratic governor’s conference for his party’s presidential nomination. In 1832, all the lands surrounding the accrual mineral springs, which has been reserved for production of salt, was offered for public sale.

About 1,500 acres - including all the large springs - were purchased and within several years opened the first French Lick Springs Hotel in 1845.

Rumor has it that gangsters such as Al Capone frequented the hotels and casinos here, and that the direct railway from French Lick to Chicago supplied an excellent express trip for so many of the Chicago gangs, that if they were to meet up in French Lick, they would call a truce to their wars, and rest in peace until back in Chicago.

It now has a fantastic golf course with PGA Tournaments, excellent steakhouse, and views to die for!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

stopping halfway on our railroad tourstopping halfway on our railroad tour
stopping halfway on our railroad tour

near the birthplace of the famous basketball player, Larry Bird
The French Lick RailroadThe French Lick Railroad
The French Lick Railroad

longest tunnel in Indiana
French Lick Resort RotundaFrench Lick Resort Rotunda
French Lick Resort Rotunda

Hand painted, and enormous!
French Lick Resort RotundaFrench Lick Resort Rotunda
French Lick Resort Rotunda

huge fireplace with hand painted stones
French Lick Resort GardensFrench Lick Resort Gardens
French Lick Resort Gardens

Brando is caught working on the phone again!
West Baden HotelWest Baden Hotel
West Baden Hotel

Pool indoors since the 1930's
so that is what is making that noise!so that is what is making that noise!
so that is what is making that noise!

I thought it was a loose fan belt!
West Baden HotelWest Baden Hotel
West Baden Hotel

we always get to park up front!


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb