Kenya: Blog #3


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kentucky » Louisville
March 18th 2010
Published: March 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday (cont.)

Interviewing the children is a life highlight for me. They are sweet, well-behaved, earnest, and many have a lovely sense of humor. While part of me feels I shouldn't look for this, it's also true that they are very appreciative of all that we do. Their personalities vary -- some outgoing, some shy and quiet. Some are very very bright, some slower. Their English is vastly improved compared to 4 years ago. Yesterday I interviewed a little 9 year old girl who was as articulate as any 9 year old I've interviewed in the U.S.

Some themes: they need shoes -- both sports and school shoes. The shoes we bought last year are, not surprisingly, worn and ill-fitting. They love storybooks -- and it's clear that reading stories are part of what's improved their English. They also love to draw, and crayons, pencils and paper are very welcome. With a few exceptions, their health seems pretty good.

Debby S. is visiting all of our secondary schools, meeting the principals and accountants, and checking in on the children. This is a great way for her to establish these relationships. Hopefully, if our money wires are late in the months ahead, they will now know that we are good for it and they won't send the children away!

One difficult note -- we clearly have more children in the dorm than we intend. We will try to ascertain if any of these children can be sent to live with near-by relatives. But in discussing with the children yesterday how they came to live at VCH, and reading the many letters we are receiving from unsponsored children, I doubt many of these children have somewhere to go. Yesterday, I commented on a child's shirt, which was filled with holes. He is an unsponsored child. He told me that this was the only shirt he has. Tish found a gray t-shirt among her things, and Danica will seek him out today. We have letters from about 10 7-8th graders who are performing very well in school, but have no one to send them to secondary school. The need is overwhelming. And I say to myself we will do what we can, and then if we can do more, we will.

Thursday

Today we plan to do more interviews, measuring and letter writing. Debby and Addie are off to visit more schools. Danica and I will brave the Boda Boda boys to return from writing these emails! Love to all, Deborah

Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb