Let the Exploring Begin


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kentucky » Corbin
June 25th 2013
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 36.9441, -84.0955

We awoke after a restful night sleep with our intrepid explorer feet itching. After some breakfast we headed for Cumberland Falls National Park. We started walking and it wasn't long before we heard the roaring of the waterfall. This was a beautiful sight and we took various routes to different viewing points where were even lucky enough to see a rainbow formed in the waterfall.

However, we came here to explorer so we set off on the most dangerous looking trail we could find. This was a hike adjacent to the river but unfortunately the rain decided to try and stop us. But these explorers were not going to be put off that easily and we persevered - only stopping occasionally to stop in caves when rain got heaviest. We hiked, climbed and strolled as far as we could until the route became so dangerous even the most daring of adventurers had to turn back.

We got back in the car and set off for a trip even further south and with the weather improving we spotted Pine Forest National Park. On an impulse we decided to see what it had to offer. Our attention was quickly grasped when we found an aptly named trail called Honeymoon Falls. This was a 1 and 1/2 mile trail through the mountains and ran us along side a trickling river which was set amongst the thick forest. Whilst ensuring we didn't fall or bump into one of the resident black bears we climbed higher and higher along this somewhat tricky trail. We reached the main waterfall which made the journey worthwhile before we started the well earned descent.

Along the track we found a tortoise making his way through the forest - although it had taken us some time to make the trek at least we weren't the slowest now! We got back to the car safely, although only just in one piece as Nicky slipped on a rock and ended up with soggy bum.

We then started the drive to next stop - the aptly named Middlesboro - and found a Holiday Inn with a pool. We quickly got changed and jumped in to cool down and relax after our strenuous day. The swim was cold and just what we needed. We then had a delicious Mexican meal and sampled deep fried ice cream which was surprisingly tasty. Our feet needed a rest so we settled down for bedtime.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb