Berea, A fascinating Place


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kentucky » Berea
June 2nd 2018
Published: June 2nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Statue of John Gregg Fee and the first teacher at BereaStatue of John Gregg Fee and the first teacher at BereaStatue of John Gregg Fee and the first teacher at Berea

Fee founded Berea College in 1855. He was an ardent abolitionist and founded this College for any race and any gender. The first College in the US that admitted Blacks and Women.
Today I had the pleasure of touring Berea,Kentucky.

I am throughly impressed with this place.

The story starts in 1855 when an ardent abolitionist wanted to start a school where everyone was allowed to attend. White, Blacks, Indians and Women, a concept unheard of before the Civil War.

He was givin the land to start his college by another abolitionist named Cassius Clay.( Not related to the boxer.)

There was an interruption during the Civil War but it has continued with its original Christian based philosophy ever since.

Today this beautiful school operates 100% on private funds and pays 100% of the tuition for every student.

The students must come from Appalachia; they must have academic potential and their families must not have the ability to pay for College. Every student must work at least 10 hours per week around the campus. Therefore many of the janitorial services, office work, restaurant workers and other community work is done by the students.

There are vast agricultural lands on the campus and they are continually experimenting with new Organic concepts.

Almost the entire community exists to support this College.

An entire Art Community has
View of the  CampusView of the  CampusView of the Campus

These are recent accolades of this school: Kiplinger’s Personal Finance: A 2016 Best Value College MONEY Magazine: #1 in Affordability Washington Monthly: 2016 and 2017: Best National Liberal Arts College and Best Bang for the Buck U.S. News and World Report: Top of List for Colleges with Least Student Debt, 2016 Essence Magazine: Listed in the Top 50 Best Schools for African Americans, 2016 USA Today: One of the “Best 10 Colleges for the Money” Princeton Review: Featured in “Colleges that Pay You Back, 2016 Edition”
sprouted here also.

Many of my pictures reflect some of the beautiful woodwork, quilt work, and so many other artistic efforts are on display.

It was an educational and relaxing day.

Tomorrow I head for Harrodsburg.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

On the Campus.On the Campus.
On the Campus.

There are so many trees and the Campus is so spread out, one can only get partial pictures of the beautiful buildings.
Berea Community GardenBerea Community Garden
Berea Community Garden

This garden is a Berea Community effort. Much of the vegetables from this garden go to local restaurants.
This is the old Louisville and Nashville Train DepotThis is the old Louisville and Nashville Train Depot
This is the old Louisville and Nashville Train Depot

This railroad began in the 1870’s. In the 1970’s the passenger service was discontinued. Now the original building is the Berea welcome Center.
Trains passing through BereaTrains passing through Berea
Trains passing through Berea

Freight trains pass but no passenger trains stop here any more.
This is Bell.This is Bell.
This is Bell.

She narrated the free Trolly ride around Berea. It was extremely informative. One of the stops was at the Berea Artist Center. Many of the pictures are from that center.
This is made entirely of wood. This is made entirely of wood.
This is made entirely of wood.

I had to touch it to confirm there were no feathers.
Beautiful QuiltBeautiful Quilt
Beautiful Quilt

Magnificent Quilt


3rd June 2018

Berea
I’m putting this on my list of places to see! Thank you for the beautiful enticing pics!

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0991s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb