Across Kansas to Missouri


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kansas
May 22nd 2006
Published: May 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our noses told us we were in cattle country when we stepped out this morning. Continuing east on US 50, we drove past Dodge City, numerous grain elevators, and fields of newly emerged wheat.

The first stop of the day was in the town of Kinsley, also known as “Midway City” which sports a sign indicating that it is equally distant from both San Francisco and New York City.

In the same roadside park with the sign is the Edwards County museum (free admission) which has a great collection of Americana and even a sod house, all neatly displayed and clearly labeled. Lots of farm machinery and tools plus a big train engine to view outside.

Further along US 50, the terrain almost abruptly changed from flat to flat with parallel hills off to the side. And the hills, while green, had rocks scattered on them. At Strong City we turned north on Highway 177. Not far up the road we arrived at Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve which is ten years old this year. We found out we were just in time to tour the house and then take the 90-minute bus tour of the prairie.

During the bus tour,
Midway CityMidway CityMidway City

Which way to go?
we came upon two interesting animals… first we saw a Collared Lizard and later a Horned Lark.

Back on US 50, we continued east and northeast. And, there, maybe 100 miles southwest of Kansas City, our “blue highway” suddenly disappeared and we were on I-35. Stopped in the “burbs” at Culvers for a sandwich and frozen custard. And stopped for the night just across the border in Missouri in the town of Belton.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Tallgrass Prairie National PreserveTallgrass Prairie National Preserve
Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve

The green roof must have kept the chickens cool.


28th November 2006

Tallgrass Prairie Natl Grassland
Was in Strong City KS in early July of this year for 3 days and took in the same sights you did. There is a stark beauty to this area and people are real nice. Several museums in Cottonwood Falls. Played golf for several days with the golf coach of the local high school who hunts golf balls to give to his golf team. Course has sand greens and a $5 all day green fee and very walkable. I was given a ticket to the U.S. Open by the town banker. Will definitely return to the area someday.
2nd March 2012
Sod House - interior

Sod House -- Interior
The photo of the interior is wonderful particularly the quilt and wallpaper. I did not know wallpaper was ever used. Please show more photos of sod house interiors. By the way, I am a member of the National Sod House Society and I am also a quilter. Thank you very much. Anne

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb