09 The Traveling Vietnam War Memorial Wall - Ride to the Wall


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kansas » Garnett
September 6th 2009
Published: September 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The WallThe WallThe Wall

This is my favorite shot of the wall.
Its Sunday and time for The Ride to the Wall. Saturday evening I had asked Darrel if he wanted to go and if he wanted to get a group together to ride down for the riders viewing of the traveling wall in Garnett. They were offering a free BBQ lunch to all motorcyclist that rode in between 12 and 4PM. Darrel called his brother and we were all on for ride. At 10AM Darrel and I left KC and picked up Brian and his SO Joan in Paola on the way to Garnett. Brian and Joan was riding his new Yamaha V-Star Silverado.

We rode in with a temperature in the high 60's.

I have to say Garnett has really done excellent in handling the wall. Every thing is calm in the area, there has always been a crew directing the parking of the cars/bikes. The logistics of setting up the wall had to be a nightmare because of the lay of the land. The wall needs to be level for a great distance, however the land a veterans park is not level. They had to build it on some sort of stand and the walkway is boards on stacks of hay bales. There are no steps and it is not wobbly. I guess I am wanting to say this was a great group to host the travelling wall.

The crowd was constant at the wall and it wasn't all bikers. There were plenty of people driving in with cars or trucks. I saw several people that I knew, both from the local area and from riding groups around KC.

We were there for about an hour when we decided to eat. The plate of food was HUGE. We had our choice of beef or pork. I have never BBQ sandwich that was this thick. It was very good. We sat outside and ate. After eating and looking over the bikes it was off for ice cream at the local DQ. A quick tour of Garnett and then a spin around the North Lake. I knew Joan would really like the North Lake after she had commented on how great she thought the South Lake was. It was time to get some good pictures of Brians new bike.





Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The Lunch CrewThe Lunch Crew
The Lunch Crew

Taking a Lunch break


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb