Iowa City and the Colonies of Amana


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Iowa » West Branch
March 5th 2024
Published: March 5th 2024
Edit Blog Post

We learn about Herbert Hoover's Shaker ancestry, his early profession as a mining engineer and businessman, and his later career as President and a humanitarian in global wars throughout our go to to the Hoover Presidential Library in West Branch, Iowa. We excursion the Shaker assembly residence that has been conserved on the Library grounds as well as the extraordinarily modest Hoover own family home.



After that, we take a journey to the neighboring Amana colonies, founded in 1855 by using German immigrants who had the utopian imaginative and prescient of a at the same time supporting religious society. They selected this vicinity because of changed into considerable farmland, and their artistry received them recognition. They persevered to stay as a community until 1932, while dire economic instances pressured them to dissolve. Numerous structures and handicrafts nonetheless stay.

We tour to Guttenburg, Iowa, the house of the Mueller own family, German immigrants who got here there in 1847 from the Hamburg region, with the aid of driving east across the Iowa geographical region and lower back toward the Mississippi River.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb