Route 66 - Day 19


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Iowa » Newton
July 16th 2012
Published: July 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Mighty Mississippi - Take 2Mighty Mississippi - Take 2Mighty Mississippi - Take 2

Heading back over the Mississippi River as we move into Iowa.
Some how the stars aligned and we were all cheerful this morning. We were up, breakfasted, packed and on the road by 8 AM. We crossed the border into Iowa at about 11 and stopped in Iowa city for lunch at a local cafe. Iowa city is a college town and there was lots of college flavor at the cafe. Lunch was tasty and so was the chocolate, bourbon pecan pie. Michelle asked what it tasted like. Anne's response was "a candy bar". Michelle tried a bite and then raced Anne to finish the slice.

Newton, IA has a great looking race track and we just missed a NASCAR truck series event there this past weekend. We got in early enough to relax and hit the pool a couple of times before dinner and bed. Durring dinner we were treated to a firefly show. Michelle and a girl from the next campsite spent an hour before bed trying to catch them in a jar. They didn't catch any fireflies but did catch a moth. Tommorrow will be another early day on our way to Yankton, SD.

Tony's Trailering Tip - Make sure all of your access doors are closed,
Welcome to IowaWelcome to IowaWelcome to Iowa

Iowa seems to be a friendly state.
especially during rainstorms. Bonus tip: Duct tape fixes soggy cardboard boxes.
Michelle's Musings - About Medieval Times: I just really like the food.
Anne's Annecdotes - You know you are in the mid west when you have to pay extra for lettuce and tomato on your burger.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Lunch in Iowa CityLunch in Iowa City
Lunch in Iowa City

We try to find local cafes rather than chains. The Hamburg Inn has been serving folks in Iowa City since 1948.


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb